carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Hi everyone! I have just fitted a complete new clutch & cable to my kdx 220, having put everything back together today ive kicked the bike over & put her into gear only to find she lunges forward & stalls.I have adjusted the cable with no effect, its obvious the clutch is not engaging correctly,can anyone shed some light on what may be the problem.
Also seems a silly question but... which side does the 12mm nut go on the clutch cable down near the engine, does it go on the thread nearest the bare cable or next to the metal piece on the clutch cable itself? Thanks Martin.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Did you soak the fibers prior to installing? Did you measure or replace the stock springs? What parts did you use for replacements? How far adjusted was the stock cable prior to the work? I'm going to guess you don't have a factory service manual?

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Hi, Yes fibres were soaked for 30 minutes prior to fitting, new heavy duty springs were fitted. all plates were replaced along with springs, as for the original cable i did not take note of the adjustment on it,reason for new clutch was old one was slipping badly,gears did engage correctly (unlike now).
As for a manual, i have the online cyclepedia, followed this step by step while doing the clutch.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Can any one help?

Just an update... i read in another forum that if the tranny oil is cold it will do this, i have warmed the bike up & its still lunging & stalls. Another thing i have noticed is only the slightest pull on the clutch lever gets the cable moving & the clutch arm on the engine, can't get any free play at the lever without everything starting to pull.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
carts69 said:
Im off to another forum where i may get some replies to this question from clued up people! :bang:
I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure that getting ratty with those you are asking for help is not the right way to get it. Most people on this forum won't reply unless they feel they have a definative answer for you, some people take time to think about it and ponder your questions and observations before answering. I am sure that if you look at the archives on this forum you will find the problem. However, judging by your impatience my guess would be that you rushed it and put it together wrong.
If you put it together right:
1. You would be able to adjust it
2. It would work properly

I assume that when you say a complete new clutch you mean steels, fibres, springs, basket and inner. If you did replace all that and soaked the fibres, and the parts are the correct ones, and you haven't trapped the new cable or broke pieces during assembly, you simply put it together wrong.

When the clued up people help you please let us know where to find them as we could all do with some extra help.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply, i was not ratty but just getting a little upset having spent some money & not had the results i was expecting.
When i state the clutch replaced i mean just both sets of plates & new heavy duty springs. The basket looks in good order, no grooves or anything obvious. A new cable was fitted along with the clutch.
Today i have been out on the bike, started it by bumping it, hoped the clutch would free up but it is doing nothing at all, no response from it when lever is pulled in. I have all the old clutch plates & springs still, would it be better to put these back in & see what happens, when 1st gear is selected the bike jumps aggressivly forward & stalls. No response from the clutch what so ever!
The cable is free & moving,as is the arm on the clutch cover. thinking of taking the bike to the local shop but would like to overcome this myself. Any advice now or future would be great.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
No point in putting the old stuff back in and it isn't going to get better on its own. Personally I am sure you have assembled it wrong, but as to how it is wrong I do not know, but maybe a misplaced washer or something. I have replaced a few clutches in my time, but not the kdx one. If you give the guys a who have done their KDX clutches a little time I am sure they will post some assembly help and typical mistakes to look for. Until then I would not use it as putting it into gear without a clutch can be a little bit cruel.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply! yes i understand what your saying, as stated i have used a popular online manual to guide me, saying that there is not much that can be assembled incorrectly,but saying that im not ruleing it out as there must be a reason for this? there are only two washers in the dismantle process & these have been put in the correct place. based on your advice i will not put the old coponents back in but will try to find a solution to the new instalation. The one thing im unsure of is.... the cable pulls even with the lightest touch of the clutch lever & the arm begins to pull, so i can't even get any free play where it should be!

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I've had clutch issues before after re-installs, I usually take it all apart and do it again. After the 3rd attempt, or so, it all works as it should. I'm a crappy mechanic is why it doesn't work correctly the first couple of times and also the reason I can't tell you why it didn't work the first couple times.
Don't give up until it doesn't work the same way every time you re-do it.

phonedudekdx

May 8, 2007
Make sure you have the washer on the push rod. also, if you replaced the "coned disc and spring seat", make sure you didn't leave the old one(s) in there. thats what i did and it was very easy to not see them in there. that will make the symptoms you have described.
Good Luck.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Hi, Yes ive had it apart twice now, but further looks at the online manual i have reveals 3 big washers, the first one goes on the transmission shaft which i have in place, the second one goes on after the clutch basket (which is missing),the final one is on the clutch hub in front of the large nut!
So i have installed the clutch with a large washer missing (the clutch basket one).
I need to find this washer & put it where it belongs, is this the answer to my non working clutch, can a missing washer really cause this much trouble?

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Hi, Yes washer is on push rod, also the spring & spring seat is in place,(not replaced these)! it must be the basket washer thats the issue,this is all i can find at fault having gone through the manual again!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
That washer on the push rod may or may not be there, and may or may not be necessary. It's role is to take out slop if things are worn or not machined properly, so that as the clutch lever is pulled by the cable, it swings through 90 degrees in the middle of it's motion.

That gives the clutch lever the best leverage for an easy pull. So it's just a shim, that may or may not be needed. And if it isn't there but should be, I suspect the clutch will still work, just not that well (harder pull and perhaps incomplete disengagement).

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Oh, and I had that exact problem you were talking about. The solution in my case was to completely take apart the clutch plates, soak them for half an hour, and reassemble. Just soaking the whole basket will NOT do it, it had to be taken apart. This was a used clutch assembly from ebay, completely intact, by no means dry... it was still drooling oil. So I didn't expect to have to take it apart, but I did.

I'm not saying that's your problem, as you said you soaked the plates, just that it was mine.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Ok... Point taken on the push rod washer, im now sure it the missing washer on the clutch basket,can anyone confirm this washer missing will stop the clutch working? Im still looking for it.....

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I suspect so. There just isn't that much travel to begin with, so if you take out the thickness of one of those big washers, I doubt the clutch can compress enough to release.

If you forget the one behind the clutch pack, your crank case and clutch will start machining each other... DAMHIK.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply, i think ive sorted it now... The missing washer was on the transmission shaft with the one that should be on there (both stuck together) thought it looked too thick! Im now going to put the missing basket washer on where it belongs & with a bit of luck my problem will be sorted!
Thanks for all the advice from who replied.

carts69

Feb 27, 2010
Yeah your not bad! i did put it together wrong (washer) in wrong place, but hey.... that clutch is so sweet now i could eat it for lunch.....ya baby :laugh:

Top Bottom