kdx clutch questions

I have a 2002 kdx 200 and am experiencing problems when trying to kick start bike while engaged in gear with clutch lever pulled in. Have adjusted clutch lever correctly-followed manual very closely (pretty common sense). Any ideas out there as to what problems may be/ anyone experienced this problem and what was the remedy if any. Will worn clutch plates do this? Just seems as though clutch is not disengaging all the way. Clutch acts fine other than this. Will lighter or thicker weight oil help (running 10w40)? Manual says under trouble shooting guide to put in an extra spacer on pushout bearing. Just looking for some ideas before tearing this thing down.

I have the same problem starting in gear. I think many KDX'ers have reported the same thing. I hope someone can help both of us, but for now, I don't waste the effort to even try. I find neutral and get it going in one poke.

It's just from the clutch plates dragging a little bit with the lever pushed in. I don't think it would be from worn clutch plates. A thinner oil could help.

why are u kicking it in gear? cause u stalled out? just find neutral. worn clutch plates would make it easier to start in gear. see if u can start your bike when it's cold in gear.

My bike has been the same since new. It is just a KDX thing. If I put in gear and pull in clutch with engine off, I can hardly push the bike forward. Mine will start with clutch in and in gear sometimes, but I found shifting to neutral is the sure way of starting first kick.

The answer is always to go into neutral , (or don't stall it).

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
That is normal clutch drag. Happens in all motorcycles; from street bikes to dirtbikes. It is less noticable in street bikes because of the electric start, but as Nick mentioned, put any bike in gear and hold the clutch and the bike is darn hard to move.

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
I'd check the clutch basket for grooving on the fingers?

I was told by my local dealer that the clutch springs are the weak link, to get rid of them and put KX250 springs in.  Anybody else hear that? :think:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
Originally posted by 70 marlin
I'd check the clutch basket for grooving on the fingers?
If the clutch operation is smooth (not at the lever, but on actuation) and not grabby on release, I wouldn't suspect that problem.

1. 'clutch springs are the weak link'

They are kinda puny, but they don't have anything to do with this issue.

Take any bike (or anything else with a wet clutch) and check the difference between pushing the cold beastie with the trans in gear and clutch engaged (lever/pedal pulled/pushed) to pushing it in neutral.

You'll be lucky to push it anywhere with the trans in gear.

Personally, I'll be skidding my rear tire if I try pushing my cold bike in gear with the clutch engaged. Not a whole lot better when it's warmed up, either.

re: 'thinner oil help?'

Yes. 10-40W (given that you're running motor oil) isn't a very good choice for cool weather.

re: '..put in an extra spacer'

Maybe. But, follow the method to determine if that's the issue. Basically, if the lever º is more than 90º, remove a shim (washer). If it's less than 90º, put in a shim.

Example...after I installed vesrah plates from frp, my clutch stack was a bit 'thick'. I removed a shim.

The reasoning being fairly obvious. The closer you are to having the midway point of the pull arc @ 90º, the greater linear movement (cable pull) you will have.

Capiche?

Agreed. Basket fingers aren't indicated unless once you are running it is difficult to shift into neutral.

I wouldnt normally complain about this issue really but when Im on the starting line with 40 other bikes in a hare scrambles race and it is a dead engine start for these events (90% of the time) I have to start bike in neuteral then put it gear and then go-by this time Im just about in last place before I even get off the line. A riding buddy of mine who owns a 2003 CRF-450 is experiencing same issues with his clutch so I dont think this is only a KDX issue. He bought his bike brand new as did I. I remember back when I was riding 1980's dirt bikes that I never experienced this problem with clutches not disengaging properly and these bikes were pretty well abused. Just put the thing in gear, pull clutch in, kick until started (no drag) and go. Any time I start bike (trail riding, play riding, cold engine, etc..) I always start in neuteral. Just curious if there was something wrong with my bike or is something I must live with.

Gotta say my 01 KDX sounds just like yours. I tried 10w/40 and 10w/30 Amzoil both made no difference. I have just chaulked it up to be a KDX quirk that I deal with.

mindog,I didn't have the problem with my '75 Suzuki 285. I'm guessing it was because it had a dry clutch.

mindog,I didn't have the problem with my '75 Suzuki 185. I'm guessing it was because it had a dry clutch.