skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
CC,
I understand the analogy using the plates and water but why do some bikes have the problem and others don't. I recall my old yamaha CT, hodaka, and huskys never having this problem.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Originally posted by minidog
...when Im on the starting line with 40 other bikes in a hare scrambles race and it is a dead engine start

Here in Australia, we have a LeMans style start for our Pony Express series. You have to run 10 meters to the bike, get on and start it - no chance to hold the clutch in.

I found it easier to start the KDX in gear if a) the gearbox is hot, and b) hold the throttle open (slightly) as you kick it.

works for me...

Andrew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I dunno... howabout a difference in what/who is pushed/pulled in the hub/basket assembly? In the kdx, there isn't anything actually disconnected. The pressure is just released (or maybe just reduced?).

Certainly there isn't a whole lot of movement in the basket considering the little squared off shaft that does the moving.

xtremekdx

Feb 21, 2004
i'm having a similar problem. recently can't get neutral with engine idling. tore clutch down expecting warped plate, found basket grooved up real bad. all parts spec out except clutch springs. slight wear on release washer. I think its the grooves in the basket.

lots a luck.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: I think

Yes. A grooved (hammered?) basket will prevent the plates from moving apart even when spring pressure is released. Common symptom of a notched basket is not being able to shift into neutral with the engine idling.

Those grooves can be filed out of the basket. Obviously there is a limit to that being done. You can't reasonably file out 1/4" notches.

Draw file the basket fingers. That referring to the motion of pulling the file toward you during the filing. That allows you to dress the fingers...remove the edge or flash that will result on the finger.

Keep the fingers 'square.' Keep the facing edge 'square', too.

mlstev27

Mar 6, 2008
Using thinner oil will help but not cure the problem. I find that a fresh oil change makes the problem worse because the oil has not been sheared. After an hour or so of riding, the oil will lose a little viscosity and the clutch will disengage easier, even when cold.

Top Bottom