NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
Well, I swapped bike with my oldest son for the season... my CR250R for his 97 KDX220. The KDX rides like a caddy in the woods and I'm getting older LOL.
Anyway, doin some mods.. RaceTech springs, new bars etc.
I pulled the left side flywheel cover to put on a Steahly flywheel weight and there was about a tablespoon of tan crappy oil in the bottom that ran out.
I guess the crank seal is shot. I doubt that the case has been off in 4 to 5 seasons, so I don't think the seal is leaking profusely, but it's leaking just the same.
How do you guys get the actual seal out after I disassemble it? Just use a heavy pick to pry it out or is there a trick?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
removing the seals on the KDX requires splitting the cases. Once split, the bearing will likely come out with the crank, and the seal can be beaten out from the outside with an appropriate size socket.

In my experience the #1 cause of failure on the crank seals is play in the bearings. Might as well replace the mains while you are in there.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Good point on the seal stops. A punch certainly will work better. I think I forgot about that. Been a while since I did a KDX, I just finished bottom end on a KTM200 so that's fresh in my mind, lol. Before that was a kx100..... I guess I'm getting old. Some of this stuff runs together!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Even better than the punch is some "big sockets". Find the one that just fits and hits the seal and push it out with a vise, or tap it with a rubber mallet.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
or you can use a punch ( the case has overlapping ears so socket would have to be a bit small)

jee wizz

installing is another story and you can play with your sockets then

NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
Thanks for the info guys. I guess it'll be a winter project to yank the motor and tear it down.
Like glad2ride said, I cleaned it up and I'll ride it and see how bad the leak really is. We don't ride hard, just some easy runs thru the woods, so hopefully it won't leak too much.
Nothin goes smoothly!!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
glad2ride said:
Wipe out the oil and mess. Ride it a couple of times to see if it returns.

seems logical but ....where else would the oil come from...or are you just trying to figuer how bad it really is :whoa:

motopsycho87

Dec 26, 2010
Every seal has a minimal amount of let by, if the seal has been there since the bike was made a teaspoons word of let buy is nothing to be concerned about.

Await the trolls!

Top Bottom