KDX CRASH - Warning disturbing images...

Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
I had a great ride on Saturday morning and was headed back to the truck on the main, 2 lane forest road that leads through the riding area. We were about a mile from the truck, and cruising along at 40-50 mph. Myself, and my riding partner were both riding on the right side of the road. As I crested one of the small hills on the road, I found himself going head on with another rider that thought it was ok to ride on the wrong side of the road (he and his buddies were riding 3 wide on the forest road). All I saw was the other rider, headed my way, panic, lock it up and slide it sideways into my direction of travel. I hit him in the swingarm, behind the Motor, sending me over the bars, and onto the dirt Hardpack.

Thankfully, my helmet did its job, and I did not receive any head damage. My other gear also did its job, and I came away with only deep bruises and some pretty good road rash

Katie received most of the damage with sheared fork tubes, tacoed wheel, and a total loss on the exhaust system. However, when I came too, I realized that there she was, lying next to me, still running. I couldnt shut her off, as the kill switch was shattered all over the road. she finally did shut off though. I have pictures posted here, on my wifes business website:

http://snozberrybeads.com/crash

I will gladly take donations to get katie back up and running....

Last edited:

jbroom

Jan 5, 2006
glad you're alright!

in a situation like that do you just fix your bike, or did the guy offer to help or anything like that?

Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
jbroom said:
glad you're alright!

in a situation like that do you just fix your bike, or did the guy offer to help or anything like that?

My riding partner did get his name and number. I called him on Monday, to see if he was alright. He was in better shape than I am. Today is the first that I dont need crutches to get around. He did admit to my buddy that he was at fault, AND he did ask about my bike, and how much I thought it would cost to fix. I am hoping that he ponies up some cash to fix it. If this would have been a trail meeting, it would be a different story. but this guy was just completely at fault. If I had been driving a jeep, instead of my bike, the guy would have been seriously hurt, if not worse.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Those pics are terrible looking. I think the jacka$$ that was on the wrong side of the trail should be giving you his bike for being so stupid. I don't know if I could hold back on a little trail side a$$ whooping if someone did that to me. Maybe beat him across the head with the boomarang front wheel you have now. Glad to hear your not hurt, but sad to see a bike in that shape.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Thats pretty nasty looking. Glad you walked away with no major injuries. Pacific Crest Pipe Repair can fix the pipe and the silencer looks like it could be tweaked back into shape. The front end on the other hand is as dead as it gets. Time for a KX front end swap. Hope you get it up and running soon.

Jan 16, 2005
Glad your ok Red, that could have been a hell of a lot worse on you. I have to say, I don't think I could have held back from grabbing that guys throat. When new people ride with me I always tell them to expect the unexpected when cresting hills or going into sharp turns with a lot of foliage. You just never know. I'm sure that guy will think twice next time. Maybe.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
What a lick! I dont think I've ever seen forks sheared like that except by a car.
I gotta comend you on wearing you safety gear.

Best Wishes
Dale

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Wow, glad that you are alright!!! Just goes to show that safety gear is worth its weight in gold! Make sure you don't ever wear that helmet again...it is useless now. Forest roads are really dangerous. I have had many a close calls and they are all at high speed on those roads. Everyone be safe out there!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
With the forks sheared like that, how is the frame? I wouldn't be at all suprised if it were tweaked. That and I would wonder about internal engine damage from an impact like this. Glad you got away from any major physical damage.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Whoa! That is the most taco'd wheel I've ever seen. Maybe the guy who hit you would consider buying the bike at the value it had before the crash. Then he can part it out or fix it at his discretion, and you can buy a replacement.

If you had been killed or maimed, he almost certainly would be getting sued, so it's not such a bad deal for him.

You (and the other rider) are very lucky the injuries were not worse! Even if he does not put up a dime to help you out, you were very fortunate.

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
sorry to say dude but your bike will never be the same again after a hit like that......no matter how much $$$ you spend. Things happen that can't be seen to the eye that will affect allignments and handling.....main thing is your ok and a lesson to everyone to wear protective gear. Good luck replacing your bike and getting some compensation.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
You've luck on your side to get out of that with only the injuries you have - glad you're mostly ok. Definitely a trophy helmet..

Have to agree with the other guys - I'd treat the bike as something to get rid of now - probably bent in all kind of places you may be unable to see.

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
Agreed- totalled. Glad you're able to type on a forum!!! I've never seen trail damage to that extent.

If you're insured and can buy it back from the insurance company, I'm sure you can part it out to make up your deductible - and possibly much more besides! Did that with a truck once.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
If you had insurance, the insurance company would have likely found the other party at fault and they would go after him to get your deductible back. Always a good idea to spend the $75-$200 or so a year on insurance...well worth it!!!

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Sorry to say it, but you are partly to blame as well. Doing 40-50 mph up a hill where you can't see over the top is asking for trouble. Am I wrong ?

Don't get me wrong, I hate to see pics like those as much as the next rider, and am very pleased to hear that no one was seriously hurt.

You do however seem to put all the blame on the other cat.

Hope you get the bike together soon and enjoy many more hours of fun on it. A good lesson for all.

Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
PaulKDX250SR said:
Sorry to say it, but you are partly to blame as well. Doing 40-50 mph up a hill where you can't see over the top is asking for trouble. Am I wrong ?

Don't get me wrong, I hate to see pics like those as much as the next rider, and am very pleased to hear that no one was seriously hurt.

You do however seem to put all the blame on the other cat.

Hope you get the bike together soon and enjoy many more hours of fun on it. A good lesson for all.

I strongly have to disagree to this. Let me explain. If this were a singletrack, or two track, or even a jeep trail through the forest, it would be a different story.

This accident happened on a 2 lane, maintained, graded, signed forest road. It is the main road through the riding area that links two staging areas together. To say that I should have slowed down, as I crested the hill is like saying that I should slow down my truck everytime I crest a hill on the freeway. I was standing up, aware of my surroundings. Im sure I decelerated as I crested the Hill. There was quite a bit of traffic on the road. Jeeps, Quads, trucks with Toyhaulers etc.

The simple fact is that these three guys should not have been riding 3 wide on this road. Im sure it was just a lapse in judgement, and was not intentional. Secondly, if the rider would have just held his line, we would have passed. It was his Panic reaction that caused him to slide out, right in front of me. which resulted in me t-boning him right behind the motor. If I had been going say, 25mph, the result would not have been much different. If I had been in my truck, leaving the area, He was still in the wrong place at the wrong time.

GS

Jun 29, 2003
I too have ridden right-side road at that speed, prepared to handle whatever I have to deal with on the other side of the rise provided IT ISN'T COMING AT ME AT 50 MPH (closing spped becomes 90-100 mph)
Red..telling your story is bound to prevent at least one other similar accident. Thanks for sharing
Greg

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
That is ridiculous, unfortunately this type of thing happens way too often. My cousin was in a similar accident and had to be airlifted to the hospital by lifestar unfortunately the person he hit was a friend of his and neither rider had all the necessary protective gear on and both were at fault (stupidity all the way around). They were both hospitalized for over a month and for awhile they didnt know if he was going to be able to keep his leg it was so badly road rashed and the knee was essentially shattered. He had a laundry list of injuries too long to list. Red you are fortunate that you were able to walk or limp away, a testimate to your riding gear. Thanks for telling your story maybe this will make a few other people think twice before they go blaring down a fire road on the wrong side. This guy should definitely help you fix the bike, he is lucky you didnt end up hurt.

PaulKDX250SR

Nov 8, 2005
Hold on there a minute, you are saying that if you had been going 25 mph instead of 50, the result would have been the same ? So everything they told me at bike school was not true about reaction times and breaking distances ?
You were standing on the footpegs on a pubic road ? Are the breaking distances the same for a rider standing vs a rider sitting ?
What was the surface of the road, dirt / tarmac ?
This was a forest road. Fenced ? Any bears / deer in the area ? The result would have been the same if it was a deer.
Animals do not know road manners. Could easily have been a fully grown stag in the road there.
Yes, the other guy was on the wrong side of the tracks, but that goes to show the unpredictability of roads.
Granted the YZ rider was not intentionally on the other side of the road. Only crazies out in the Wasteland looking for Max would do that.

I noticed a child in your pic. Your daughter ? Slow down for her sake.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
EZ The guy was minding his own buisness and was run into. I had a riding buddy get hit sitting on the side of the trail. You can get hit anywhere!

Top Bottom