mlhend2002

Sep 9, 2008
A friend of mine was riding his 2000 KDX 220, slide down a bank and accidentally went into a pond. The water level reached about half way up the gas tank. With it running, he pulled it out of the pond and drove it for about 15 minutes before it shut off on its own. When cold it idles and revs a little. When warmed up it doesn't rev or idle at all. So far they have pulled and cleaned the carburetor, and replaced the fuel. He also switched his KDX 220 Carburetor (really a 200) with his 2003 KDX 200 carburetors. It still runs the same. When he pulled off the side cover, water poured out from where the stator is. He dried out the area with a hair drier. He doesn't know if the stator or the electronic module under the seat (also submerged under water) may be the problem. Being that both of these items are costly, he didn't know which one he should replace first. Also, is it safe and logical to try the KDX 200 stator and electronic module on his 220?
Thanks so much for your help.
Ps, Remember, KDX don't swim.

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
check compression ..probably got the cylinder messed up, if not that, take the pipe off and check for water and the silencer is propably packed up too from spooge/water gum

also search sunk and hydro locked and see what I found after a similar experience :cool:

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
A friend of mine completely submerged his 200 in a river. We pulled it out and removed the pipe, sparkplug and carb, then kicked the kickstarter about a hundred times to clear the crankcase. Then we poured the water out of the exhaust, wrung the water out out of the air cleaner, removed the floatbowl from the carb and dumped the water out of it. We checked the gas tank, by turning the fuel tap to the reserve position to see any water would come out there and none did, so we slapped everything back together and the bike fired right up. :cool:

Nov 8, 2010
the key is water pus 2 stroke motor = big problem get all water out of evrywhere run it with the oiliest mix yo can like 20 or 15 to 1 for a lil bit then back to normall. puipe reeds crankcase plug and everything gets water in it and will cause siezing so clean water out asap

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Had a similar problem last year. There was a familiar water crossing that is normally 2 feet deep and we didn't notice the truck tire tracks leading into the water. Apparently a 4x4 got stuck and dug a hole in the middle of the crossing trying to get out. I hit the hole and when the bike started going under I hit the throttle (big mistake as water doesn't compress).

Finally got the bike started after removing the sparkplug, flipping the bike upside down and alot of kicking. The bike would barely run, had no power and would stall easily. Luckily it ran good enough to get me back to my truck.

When I disassembled the bike I found one of the reeds cracked and the reedcage itself was cracked. My poor DF3 was ruined. I installed my older DF2 and all was fine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom