simmyqux

May 27, 2004
Hello all,
First post here and just wanted to let everyone know that I looked at the KDX history and at the FAQ before posting :)

I am seriously considering a KDX as my next dirt bike and had a couple of questions.
For parts availability is the 89-94 engine basically the same as the 95+ engine?
And did the perimiter frame in 95 make a big difference in the handling/durability of the frame?
I guess what I am trying to ask is.....When shopping for a used KDX should I immediatly discount the 89-94 bikes and only look at the 95+ ones?

Thanks for you input

know_fear

May 19, 2000
The pre 95 bikes are fine machines but the perimeter frame models built from 95 on are better in my opinion. The frame design makes for a much slimmer package so you can slide forwards with more comfort. As for the engine, the power valves were re-designed. The older style engines had valves that required a good cleaning more often. If neglected they would break quite easily. I've had both styles and would never go back but if you find an older bike for a good price, take it.
Remember that an old but well maintained bike is better than a newly thrashed one.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
A freind of mine has an '82 or '84 I think, KDX 200 (air cooled)... I have an '01 KDX 200... I can tell you there are massive differnces in our bikes design and charachteristics (mine is faster, taller, more responsive, less finacky, and more stable.... oh, and my brakes actually STOP the bike)... I have never ridden an older liquid cooled though...

obviously, they didn't change the design to make it suckier.. anything '95 and newer will be the same design and a well cared for '95 will be a better deal than a beat on '02, even if the price is the same...

good luck, it's a great bike either way

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I've ridden both and I own a '90. I think your key will be to look for the best cared for bike in your price range. Obviously the newer the better, but know_fear said it best, "Remember that an old but well maintained bike is better than a newly thrashed one." Aftermarket support is also better on the '95 and newer models as well. All in all, they are a great bike. Good luck in your search.

RuffTrane

Jun 30, 2003
I own a '90 as well. It's great!
Just make sure the bike you purchase has front and rear disk brakes and that it is liquid cooled ('89 and above I think but correct me if I'm wrong). My '90 was in mint condition when I bought it so I scooped it up as soon as I saw it. If you see a steal like like the one I found on a pre-'95 kdx 200 I would take it. Lots of mods you can do to these bikes to make them perform with the money you save. Good luck and have fun ;)

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
90 here also---at least that's what I'm told. Strangely though, it has E1 stamped on the head :think: . Runs like a beast. I think it depends on whether you like to wrench on things. An older bike will likely require more maintenance. Sadly, I sold my '66 Fairlane two door hardtop in '95. I work on mine more than I ride it---therapy. If anyone knows how to determine the year from the VIN, I'd be interested.

simmyqux

May 27, 2004
Thank you very much for your replys. I'm going to look at a "Clean" (According to the ad) 91 today for 1600, so armed with the info from this site and from your replys to my post we will see what it looks like. :cool:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
simmyqux said:
Thank you very much for your replys. I'm going to look at a "Clean" (According to the ad) 91 today for 1600, so armed with the info from this site and from your replys to my post we will see what it looks like. :cool:
That sounds a bit steep unless it has after mkt pipe/silencer, reeds, jets/jetting, new rubber, brakes and top and bottom end rebuild....without all that I wouldn't pay over $1200 for a '91. But that's just me---CHEAP!

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I paid 1600 for my '91, with 400 miles on it.
In 1996...
On the other hand, I'd ask the same for it today, at least, because its turn-key.
So don't tolerate anything sloppy for that price.

Top Bottom