aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
Well I was riding yesterday, and just had to try getting through a mud hole. I didn't make it - hole was very deep with about a foot of sludgy mud at the bottom.
:yikes:

Couldn't keep the bike from going down, so we went for a swim - bike was on it's side, about half of it in mud and water.

We got it out and got it cranked after a bunch of kicking (thank goodness!) :worship:

A bunch of water came out of the exhaust, I swear I saw a fish shoot out too!

We rode for another hour, and it ran fine.

When I got it home, changed oil (it was milky white). Exhaust seems whiter (smokier) than normal.

What else should I do to make sure no damage is done to the bike?

Thanks? :yeehaw:

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
Was the water muddy? Did you pull off the ignition cover and check to make sure it didn't get wet? Pull and clean the air boot? That white smoke could be steam. I would pull the pipe and repack the silencer.
I did the same thing a while back but it ended up bending the rod and filling the case with muddy water. Believe it or not filling the case with alcohol and draining it does a great job of cleaning and drying any water that is left in it.

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
Ive sunk mine, I cleaned the carb, cleaned and dried the Air filter Pulled the plug and pushed the bike in 2nd gear to dry the cylinder out changed the oil and put in a fresh plug. I sprayed water out of the exaust 20 feet after I got it started, I guess I would say pull the pipe off and drain it too.

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
I've sunk my bike on numberous occasions and not has any serious problems.

I always ride it home because usually when I sink my bike I'm a 20 hour walk from civilization, I can do a top end in less than 4 hours :p

Clean your carb, your air filter, change your oil and drain the pipe (though if you ride it home it will drain itself for the most part)

I would also change your plug as you probably fouled it when stuck in the mud puddle.

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
The white oil you are talking about is water mixed with yore oil probably while it was on its side. It happens to me all the time (crappy maine trails).

Top Bottom