cyclebradd88

Apr 19, 2003
I'm looking at buying another KDX, and have some questions before I might make a mistake. Here is what I THINK I know...

89-94 was the first water-cooled series and used a non-perimeter frame

95-2003 are the same? I have also heard something about 1998-current being different somehow. Is that when the 220 was offered? Is the 200 motor different between a 95 and a 98? Please help. I'm thinking of picking up a 1996 model tomorrow. I don't want to buy something that is a different series than the current 2003. My hope is that the only difference is age and graphics. What is the real deal?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Yeah, you've got it nailed. 1996 they put heavier clutch springs in them & that's pretty much it. Not sure when the 220 came out (think it was 96).
Check out the thread at the top of this forum - all KDX owners should read this by Fred T. It's got the link to the justkdx pages which has a timeline on them.
96 I think was purple (yuck) or that might have been the 220's.
Parts will interchange (if that's what you're looking at the bike for), no problemo between the 96 & 03.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
In the 96 you will need to put stiffer springs in. And purple is not yuck, just Barney-like who is yuck.

bh

Nov 26, 2001
Check out this site http://justkdx.dirtrider.net There is a timeline on the site that tells you when what happened. But don't just read that read everything on the site at least twice. Have you read the thread next to the top of the page? The important one?

Top Bottom