KDX in Mag.?

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Has the KDX been featured in any recent motorcycle magazines (Dirt Rider etc.)? Always though it deserved a write-up every now and then.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I haven't heard anything lately. Rev will definitely not mention it because it's not a 4 stroke. They only talk about 4-strokes. Maybe Dirt Bike will.

The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
The first edition of REV did have a little article in it about the KDX. They did a basic rundown of all of the "trail" bikes.

RIRider

Sep 16, 1999
Yeah, I love reading 'Dirt Rider' but they cater to the pros. They need some homeboy articles of the down and dirty fun regular guys have and include some playbike stuff!

svmtbman

Mar 11, 2003
Cycleworld did a one page write up on the KDX last year. I think you can access it on their website.

MDA

May 27, 2002
I don't remember if it was Dirt Rider or Dirt Bike magazine, but one of them recently did a "best of" article. They voted the KDX as the perenial best bang for the buck (apparently it always wins this title). They had a tiny little blurb on the KDX. Unless you were a fan of the KDX (I was excited to see the letters KDX in a major publication) you would have dismissed it right away.

Its sad to see such a good bike not get any press. Even when they compare off road bikes they never even bring up the KDX. Are the newer bikes that much better than a KDX that its not worth comparing to?

Oh well, I may not get to read about my bike, but I am laughing all the way to the bank with my KDX. I got a bike off the showroom floor, full gear and all the fluids for less than what my riding buddy paid for his YZ250F.

-Mark-

alan250f

Apr 5, 2003
Sorry to be cynical, but the reason you don't see any press on the KDX is that Kawasaki hasn't just invested a zillion dollars on it's design and production, and unfortunately the mags. have to cater to their advertisers needs and wishes. I see a clear relationship between the amount of press a bike gets, and how recently the mfg. did a new or major redesign.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
I don't think that's being cynical. Face it, the bike hasn't changed in 8 years. What could a publication say about it that they already haven't said?

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
My last issue of Dirt Rider had a 24 hour shootout. I can't remember if it was 4-strokes or not, I don't think so. If they can test the $5000 XR 400, surely they can run the $4000 KDX. The KDX would have spanked the XR. I know, I have both.
Any one want to buy an xr 400?

Karl P.

PS I agree with above, there is not too much to say about the KDX. Fine bike, in very little need of improvement.

martian

Mar 26, 2003
Thanks Karl, the XR 400 was one of my choices and I bought the KDX 200. I was hoping I made the right choice! I am still breaking it in, about 1/2 throttle so far.
Chris

kanrandy

Apr 26, 2003
KARLP- I have been trying to decide between an XR 400 and a KDX 220. I have a DR 350 now but want something more dirt-worthy. Could you give me a rundown on why you think the KDX is superior to the XR 400?

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I did a write up on the KDX vs XR a little while ago.
Maybe 3 months back. I'm not a paying subsriber, so I don't think search works for me. You'll have to find the old fashiooned way.....one page at a time.

alan250f

Apr 5, 2003
kanrandy - I have both XR400 and KDX220, and the main differences are weight and torque. The KDX feels and is way lighter than the XR, which is better in the tight stuff and doesn't tire you out so much. The XR does have huge low end torque, great for slippery conditions. Also, where I ride is really whooped out, and the weight of the XR with it's less than superior stock suspension is a handful. Just my .02

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
I sold my XR400 2000 two weeks ago for a KDX220 2001. I really regret to not have sold the XR earlier. The KDX is so light !!! and much more fun to ride.

I'm racing Hare Scramble and this year I already know that I'm going to do faster lap time just because the bike is lighter.

Get a KDX for sure !!!

Patrick

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I always look at Horsepower to Weight ratio. The 2-strokes always win when you look at it this way. I like as little weight as possible with as much power as possible. That's why I love my KX500!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…