Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
As far as I know my carburetor is jetted at stock and im trying to get most of the hit out of the engine, I ride tight woods and the gearing right now is 13/47 and I would like to know the best jetting and gearing for what im riding.

ps feel free to correct me on any mistakes or what not. :)

AZRickD

Jun 6, 2006
Do not take my advice.

The used KDX220 that I just purchased came with 13/50 gearing (the guy likes single-track). It is geared very low. Top speed is 70 mph at 7200 RPM. First gear is a real granny and I don't fully appreciate it until I'm doing technical climbs.

The carb is a R-B Designs carb modification.

Read this for stuff...

(do a google search. For some reason the mods won't allow useful links to be posted -- they foolishly call them "spam.")

R-B Designs (for the carb mod).

Spanky's Jetting Guide (so you'll understand about the simple steps involved in tuning your carb for *your* bike at *your* altitude).

Rick

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For tight woods, go to a 12t countershaft.

You did not say where you ride.

If you ride above sea level, your stock KDX jetting is too rich. If you ride way above sea level, it is way too rich.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
If the bike is running ok and not bogging or fouling plugs then I would leave the jetting as is . If you jet the bike "correctly" it will have more of a hit .
Agree with changing the front sprocket to a 12 tooth for lower gearing .

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
I also agree with the 12t in front. I have a 1997, that came stock with a 13. i got it used with a 12t. so when I swaped out the chain and sprockets I went stock. After 1 ride I went back to a 12t.

Unless you need speed, the 12t is the way to go best less than $20 improvement you can make IMHO.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
Agreed, I'm running 12/46 in the New England tight nasty junk. I can ride 2nd and 3rd instead of 1st and 2nd with the 12t. Saving 1st for the really extreme hillclimb.

Top Bottom