2 B

Aug 31, 2000
Just wondering if you riders could give me any differences on these bikes. Positive or negative,why did you switch brands,why are the european bikes better than jap bikes? I'm hearing ktm is the best. Don't know if that is because watts and lafferty are winning races or what.I'm not going to make a bike purchase just beacuse it is in the winner's circle. It does not matter which brand I choose. I have no dealer close to me so parts have to come by mail(u.p.s.)I currently have 98 kdx 220 and thinking about trying something different with in the next year or two. I would look for a new or used 200cc bike just due to the fact that it is a class issue and not cc issue(haresramble,little class).

------------------

squid

Oct 26, 1999
2B,
I was were you are last fall. I had a modified KDX 220, which I loved, espically the motor, but knew that when you start going fast on a KDX, the short wheelbase and suspension cause the bike to get "squirrley",
or the rear end starts to pass the front end.
I got several rides on a KTM 200 , and also on A GasGas 200. I liked them both and was actually leaning towards the KTM, but a GasGas came along at a good price so I bought it.
I love this bike. The motor is sweet, nothing impressive like "Big Hit", it just works great in the woods, actually very similar to a Modified KDX 220, the bike turns
like nothing I've ridden..
Since then I've ridden the KTM 200 back to back with tha GasGas and the KTM vibrated me like crazy.
GasGas placed 6 riders in the top ten at a National enduro in Louisiana, that speaks for itself..
3 of my friends who own KTMs have since blown the up, all three were Crank Bearing failures.. Expensive fix..
Ride a GasGas and listen to the Motor, they claim to be Blue printed and Dyno tested at the factory, Maybe they are ,maybe thy aren't
but they sound and feel "tight".
Another friend owns a 99 GasGas 200, who usually did top ends every two races on his YZ 125, ran his GG for a season and a half and just did a top end, Result: piston=no wear, Rings= slight wear, replaced and put back together.
They are alot of GasGas's around here, so if you havew any more questions few free to ask..

------------------

Mar 13, 2001
2B

The KDX is a trail bike KTM's are race bikes. That's the difference. Yes, Fredette used to win nationals on a KDX but only after doing extensive work ($$$$) on the bike. The European manufacturers have always taken the enduro/off-road market much more seriously than the Japanese. Euro bikes have state of the art, top of the line, suspension, brakes, motor, etc. components. Whereas the KDX has not been updated since 1993.

I have a '99 KTM 250 MXC and my wife has a '00 KTM 200 EXC. They come delivered ready to race, no modifications necessary. The KTM 200 EXC is lighter, thinner, has way better suspension, and makes more power than the KDX. My wife switched to the KTM after riding my 250, riding is believing.

As far as the Gas Gas v. KTM. I haven't ridden a Gas Gas so I can't say much other than the KTM 200 does have noticeable vibration in the upper RPM range. And KTM has more widespread dealer and aftermarket support.

Is my wife a witch because she rides a flying pumpkin?

------------------

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I haven't riden a GasGas and the last KTM was an 89, but the Katoom was great then. As far as dealerships, here in Jacksonville there are no KTM dealers, but there are GasGas and Husky. Next year the GasGas dealer should have KTMs too. I've read a lot of people say the KTMs need to have the forks prefessional done and no one on a GasGas has said that. Also I've seen a lot of people complain the KTMs stock tires are junk and you should get M12 Michellins. GasGas come with M12s. I'd take which ever I got the best deal on or had the best dealer. Both KTM and GasGas are expensive but you get a lot.

------------------

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Having raced a KDX200 for two seasons I rode both a KTM EXC200 and GasGas EC200. Of those two bikes I preferred the linear power of the GG. However, after last season I decided to ride the Vet class this season. My choices were a modified KDX220, an EXC250/300 or an EC250/300. Turns out old timer was selling his '98 EC250. I took it for a short ride, bought it and haven't looked back.

The power delivery is incredible. I can lug it down low, where it'll chug through anything, or scream it up on top, where it's scary fast. I've had the forks revalved by MX-Tech and I'm having him service the shock next. I truly enjoy this bike and can see why the GG following is growing so quickly in the U.S. The weakest link on my bike is the out-of-shape rider.

------------------
'98 GasGas EC250

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Just a note, I don't hear the Gas-Gas guys complaining about any sort of mechanical problems. They must be doing something right. Vibration kills. Seems like a common theme about Gas-Gas motorcycles is how smooth they are. I never rode a Gas-Gas. I certainly would like to someday. I think they may be an under rated bike. Just need to comb through the posts here to see who's having the most problems.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I am seeing more and more of the Gas Gas machines at the races. People seem to be happy with them, of course most of the people I have talked to also seem to be selling them, hmmmmmmmm, every time I see one I think montessa/bultaco/ossa and pass. I own and race an 01 200 EXC and absolutely love it. After years of riding rice bikes I will from now on order bratwurst.

------------------

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Every bike has mechanical issues at some point, if its ridden even moderately hard.

I just love KTMs. I have never ridden a gasgas, but their owners are very loyal to them.

The only reason I am posting is to dispel the mechanical problems statement. 2000 miles on a spark plug, 2000-3000 miles on a top end, and you say their are maintenance problems. These stats are from a half a dozen KTMs that my friends and I own. One bike had a kickstarter problem, that's it!!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
I always post what I think about a Gas Gas because I currently own 4. (well I own 2 and my husband now own's 2. Each of us has a trials bike and an enduro bike) Last year I rode the GG 200 EC and then I rode the 250 XC and had to have one!! So guess who got the hand me down 200. Yep my wonderful husband. We race the RMEC here in Colorado and surrounding states and he is a 200 A and I am a 250 A rider. He used to race the KTM 200 and never really rode my GG much. This weekend was his first race on the GG 200 and he had only put about 40 miles on the bike before that. When the race was over he told me that he now knew why it was I loved the bike so much. He knew that after he raced it once he would either love it or hate it. He was so impressed with how the bike handled and how easy it was to ride. This race had a lot of sand gullies and he said that for a 200 it pulled really strong as long as you were on the gas. He said the only difference is it did not have quite as much bottom end but that since the bike handled so good he was always going fast and really didn't need the bottom end. Before the race we rode out in the desert with my dad and he has a 2000 KTM 200. I let him ride my GG and he never stopped so we could switch back. By the end of our short ride I could not believe just how much vibration the KTM had. To be honest I think that you can't go wrong with either but I think you would smile a lot more on a Gas Gas.

------------------
Nicole
GAS GAS 250
GAS GAS 280 Trails

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Hello 2B
I've got one of each a KDX, a KTM and a GasGas, so I thought I would atleast comment. The KDX and the KTM (250EXC) are both 94's so any comparison between these and my 99 GG EC300 is unfair, however I have riden the 2000 EXC 300 and 2000 KDX 220. Both the KTM and GG are superior to the Japaneese bikes, no big news there. Why, with my KDX it was a constant upgrade project, suspension, pipe, reeds, airbox mods, o-ring chain, bars . . . Both the KTM and GG machines require less aftermarket attention. However, the KDX is a good bike, just was a little underpowered for a 225lb guy to hill clime on, IMHO. The GG works best for me, its an awesome bike. My friends think of it as kind of a three stroke because it pulls down low and hooks up like a four stroke and rips up high like an electric motocrosser. I have found that parts availablity for a GG is not a problem. I haven't needed anything yet, but I checked out parts prices and availibility before I bought. You can go wrong with either the KTM or GG. The only problem I do have is not with the GasGas but with my friends who are getting tired of me raving about it (the torque, the handling, the smooth power, the suspension, the hydraulic clutch...)

A happy GasGas owner,good luck with your choice,
the WoodChuck

------------------

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
I've said this before, but ride what fits YOU best, not what others say you should get. I could never get comfortable on KTMs, but thats me. If you feel comfortable on the KDX, you will probably like the GG ergos better. They are both good bikes. The KTM hits harder and vibrates MUCH more though. There are many posts on this comparison topic. Good Luck.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

------------------

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
For those that haven't heard, Because of all the complaints about KTM stock tires KTM is giving away a free set of Michelin tires with a new MXC or EXC.

------------------

Top Bottom