KDX like a KX?

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
Hi,
I have a quick question. I don't know very much about engines but a Kawasaki mechanic said the main difference between a KX and a KDX is a lighter flyweight on the KX allowing it to rev faster. So if you put a lighter flywieght on a KDX would it make it more like a KX or is there more to it than that? And if you did that would it make it more likely to sieze the piston?

Thanks.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
I dont know about the weight. You can cross reference that at the buykawasaki site between the kx125 and the kdx200/220 for the year to see if the part numbers match up.

I will tell you that with the lighting coil there when you use it will cause more drag on the crank. So reving the bike out will be slower, but you will not get any of the extra momentum like you would with a heavier flywheel.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
a Kawasaki mechanic said the main difference between a KX and a KDX is a lighter flyweight ...

Really? He was referring to a KDX250? Being purty much the same as a KX250 excepting the flywheel weight?

Maybe he was talking about a KX200 or KX220? ;)

At the very least I'd call that a completely irresponsible, erroneous statement.

1. If you put a lighter weighted FW on a kdx (or made the existing one lighter..that's been done), yes...it would make it 'more like' a KX.

Keep in mind it would be akin to disconnecting the taillight on the kdx...THAT will make it 'more like' a KX, too!

It would be 'more like' in that the kdx would rev quicker than with a heavier FW. I certainly wouldn't consider that to a main difference by ANY stretch of the imagination.

More likely to seize? There isn't a connection between the two. A heavier (or lighter) FW won't effect to any noticeable extent rpm limits...if that's what you're thinking of.

The kdx is a woods/trail bike. That's why it has a fairly heavy flywheel in the first place. A HEAVIER one is more commonly desired than a LIGHTER one (I have added a steahly fww on my 200).

To each his own...but if I wanted/needed KX performance..I'd have a KX.

Last edited:

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
yes, other than the displacement and the obvious wieght difference and what the main use for the KDX is, he said the lighter flyweight would make it more like a KX (except not a 125 or a 250cc).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hate to be a stickler for semantics...but there is a BIG difference between:

1. Main difference is the flywheel weight.
2. Less weight will make the KDX more KX-like.

#1 is bogus.
#2 is so (and as close to making the kdx a kx as the taillight disconnect).

There is MUCH more to the differences between the kdx and the kx than the flywheel weight.

swingarm

Aug 15, 2002
the kdx engine also has porting that gives it more low end power. The power valve(kips) timing is also diffrent.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…