Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
My old riding buddy is finally coming back to this great sport and he is looking at a new KDX. He is concerned about being too big for the machine (6' 2", 215 lbs). How about some feedback from some of you bigger guys on this subject? I can't help him too much since I'm just 5'9" and about 170.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
He could ride a 400 four stroke but probably would enjoy the KDX more. My dad is 6'1" and 220lbs. and rides a '02 220. He put a FMF garly pipe and Turbine Core 2 plus he replaced the fork springs with XR400 ones and it is a perfect fit. We ride trails in the woods mostly.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I outweigh your buddy by quite a few pounds ;)
and I'm very happy with my KDX, it has plenty of power to haul my butt around :thumb:

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
It can be made to work. High rise handlebars and tall seat foam will help. Fredette recommends .39kg springs up front and a 5.2kg in back for 220 lbs.

I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs and the stock KDX was pretty cramped.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Modify the suspension per some of the above suggestions and go to a 12 tooth countershaft sproket and he will be fine. And have more fun for the money than on anything else.

instin

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2002
I'm 260 Lbs in gear. My 03 220 is still stock until I mod it out over the winter and it pulls me up some steep hills no problem in 2nd gear.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There's an argument to be made for 'the more # the better'. More weight will to a large extent improve tractability, increase traction, make the bike less peaky.

While taking my daughter for a short spin a couple of weeks ago, I was amazed at the pull my little 200 has. The additional 70# (or so) made it easier in a number of ways to get around.

Sure made a dent in any wheelspin problems! ;)

Obviously it's not the powerhouse something like a 520 pumpkin would be..but it costs just a tad less, too!

Last edited:

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
You're welcome Hockeyboy. Now if you just stay away from the twinkees and pepsi, we can avoid having to install Maico 501 parts to haul your butt up the trails! I'm looking forward to riding with you again. Let's just stay away from that nut on the trail with the axe!

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
When I got my 02 KDX 220 I was 297lbs hauled me around pretty good. Down to 265 and it's even better. I would say no problem. :thumb:

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Couldn't help but to add my two cents worth. When I told everyone I rode a KDX, the common response was, "Your too big for a KDX".(5" 11", 260# at the time...well...still close to it)Not so. I had a blast with that bike,still ride it some, and it has always pulled me through, up, or over what ever I was capable of riding through , up or over. I also dropped one tooth in the front but found it unnessessary. I now run stock gearing. Stock springs make for a comfy ride, and unless I really , really push it, no problem.I'm going to crash no matter what I'm on. If he is looking for a great, easy on the wallet bike to just ride and enjoy trails on, a KDX would be fine.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
There's an argument to be made for 'the more # the better'. More weight will to a large extent improve tractability, increase traction, make the bike less peaky.

So maybe that is why I have a looping problem! ;)

Top Bottom