matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Im a little lost here and was hoping some one can enlighten me. A while ago we had a thread on needles that was very help full in selecting what needles to try. The problem is that everyone that sounded in had much better results. I have tried a couple different needles and seem to loose mid throttle position response and power with the CEL needle compared to my stock needle. I know every bike is different but I cant see every bike being completely different from mine. Have I missed something? I've tried with a 150 and 148 MJ and air screw from 0 to 2 and a 40 and 38 PJ. My riding is 4500 to 10500 (usually in the 5500 to 9000 range) stock engine, snorkel removed, Vforce 3 reed system, gnarly woods pipe and stock silencer.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
In my experience the DEK had snappier response than the CEK (especially off of the bottom). You must realize, however, that I'm using a #7 slide (throttle valve). A DEL would be a good needle to try with a #6 slide and a DEM would be a good choice with the stock #5 slide. My best results came with the clip in the #3 position on both the CEx and DEx series of needles. Your mains sound like they are in a safe range for your elevations. You could be a little lean with the 38 pilot (but maybe not at the highest elevations). I suspect that you may be running your needle in the upper clip positions.(?). Try #3 clip position. At 100 degrees and 3000' I'm running 150 main, DEK/3, 42 pilot, air screw at 1 1/4 out, and #7 slide. My 200 has FMF -35 (woods), "Q" silencer, snorkel removed, timing advanced a little beyond the most advanced mark, and a RAD valve. My main and pilot would be a tad rich at your elevations unless the temperature was considerably lower than 100 degrees.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
95 KDX 200
I run at 600' around 90 degrees
Cut out Airbox lid
#7 slide
CEK/#3
150 main
40 pilot
RB carb modded to 36mm
AS at 1 1/3 out
FMF Woods pipe w/TCII
Delta Force III reed valve

I didn't want to make any jetting recommendations because of the vast difference in altitude. But I think the needle profiles should be good for any KDX 200 and just play with the positions.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Where ya'll getting the needles?

Matt-itude, when you say " My riding is 4500 to 10500 (usually in the 5500 to 9000 range)", you're talking about elevation, right? Hope so, because that's my range, too. I live at 6,000 and most of my riding is there. I'm not entirely happy with my jetting and will be watching this thread.

I'm using stock needle, 150 main, 38 pilot, air screw 2 turns out. Air box lid cut open, FMF Rev, stock engine, stock reeds. Elevation is 6,000, lowest I ever go is 4,000 and I might go 8,000. When I go lower, the temp is higher and when I go higher, the temp is lower. Temps run from 60 deg (any cooler and I don't ride) to 90's. Bike runs good from 1/4 throttle on (and really good from 1/2 on up), but I'm always looking for a little cleaner right off idle and in the "crusing down the road" 1/2 throttle, no-load range.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
So Rodester are you using the stock carb with a modified slide or the RB? I just checked and the last neddle I tried was a CEM. I'm using a stock carb and slide. Yeah the 38 did seem to be a little lean. actually made it sputter like it was rich at light trottle lower rpm. the 40 pilot and 148 main so far seem to be right. yes that is the elevation.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Reading back I have more ?s. How much difference did the timing make? How much louder than the stock silencer is the Q, or did you swith the pipe and silencer at the same time? So try the DEM? and the best I've got so far is the stock needle in the #2 position (second from the top right?). thanks guys! especially Rodester for the patience and time he puts forth!

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
It's rumored that a higher output light coil can make all the difference in your of throttle response.... supposed to make a better spark. :nod:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
lepper said:
It's rumored that a higher output light coil can make all the difference in your of throttle response.... supposed to make a better spark. :nod:

It has more the effect of improved response on the low end and increased resistance to stalling. It just keeps on chugging when it would have cut out before. Almost like a flywheel weight without the slowdown in the revs that flywheel provides.

-Maurice

Top Bottom