KDX on a motorcross track

G

GlowMe

Hello gentlemen, I have a question for this forum. Do any of you ride your KDXs on MX tracks, and do they perform well? I am looking for an all-around bike, but I want to be able to get a little air once and a while. I am 6'2" and weigh 195 lbs. Any inputs would be welcome. Thanks, GlowMe.
:think

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
KDX and Arenacross

I race arenacross on my 99 KDX. I get whoped but its still fun. I put stiffer fork springs in the front and it made a world of difference. I don't get much air though. Its not the bike its me.;)

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Really .....I take my KDX to the track and I get tired of feeling like I;m gonna munch the thing (conventional forks are too flexy for MX) and I wish I had a 250 with a harder hit .....KDX's are for trails, low-grunt situations..but it does ok....your not going to win any races but its still a blast.. Id give it a 4 for Mx and a 8.5 for trails....Outa 10 of course.

Susp. mods
Pipe mods are a must...in either scenerio

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by MTRIDER
Really .....I take my KDX to the track and I get tired of feeling like I;m gonna munch the thing (conventional forks are too flexy for MX)

My KDX has inverted forks, and I've had them revalved and changed the springs.;)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
With the right mods, that KDX 250 has plenty of oomph for moto, I can pull third gear power wheelies with no trouble, and hang with my friends' 250 MX bikes in a straight line (and walk away from them on top:confused: with the wide ratio tranny). The turns and jumps are a different story. This is a heavy (very heavy ) , stable, slow-turning bike, with very soft suspension valving. My suspension is set up for roots and rocks, so it is not at all happy on a whooped out moto track, and you will never out turn any recent MX bike, but I still have fun on my very occasional forays onto a track.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I ride my 99 KDX220 about 90% MX (non competative) and I like it fine. The engine and carb work were done my Fredette and the suspension was done my Race Tech before I bought the bike. My bike also has an FMF Rev pipe which makes a big differnce if you want 3rd gear to carry far enough for the longer jumps. I weigh 180 and will jump anything that can be jumped in 3rd, I gave up 4th gear jumps, fear and common sense finally kicked in. I had a 98 KLX and loved it in the woods but I broke 2 frames riding MX, I went to a 99 YZ400 and it was great on the track but I didn't care for it in the woods. The KDX seems to be a decent compromise but I would love to test ride the YZ250F.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
A YZ250F in the woods is a bit like a KDX on a mx track, it will work but you will have to work at it,on the other hand, put it on a mx track and if you can ride it fast you can win in any devision. I havent had my KDX out yet because of a injury, I will be on some mx track's mostly the new Saddleback MX park (yes you heard correctly, Saddleback will be in bis. again soon after about 20 year's!!) they will have a vintage type track that I will venture out on because they are so close. I didnt like the way my first KDX handled in mx type conditions, though it was totally stock (no web site's back then to tell me how to set it up) Im looking foward to try my newer bike out now.

G

GlowMe

Thank you for the feedback. I really apreciate your comments and will take them to heart. By the way, the new KDX look extreamly cool. I was remembering the old style 1980's KDXs. Some of your rides look more like MX bikes than trail bikes. Love them.
:eek:

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Been there, done that... Don't do any more..

I had a 220 with all the supender mods, and it was sorta OK on the moto track. It could handle the jumps and bumps, but the real problem lies in the chassis; it simply gets plain wild scarey nervous (all three at once) at moto speeds.

My recommendation... (Sorry to be a party poop in the green biker room.) But, if you like motocross, get a 250 motobike. Furthermore, if you give that 250 some woods mods, such as suspension work, flywheel weight, etc., and you're a half decent rider, the 250 MXer will SMOKE the KDX in the woods, even in the tightest of conditions. I'm there today, and I'm doing that!! :)

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
I had a WER damper also, and absolutely, it helped a whole bunch. However, the big trouble (or is that "small" trouble) which I had with the KDX is that the bike just felt too small and twitchey to really let it hang out at higher speeds. Or at least, hang it out as fast as the motobikes are capable of.

G

GlowMe

Well I might be getting a 1991 KDX 220 at the best price in the world, for free. I do believe that it has been neglected. I am sure that it will need a new piston/rings and for fork seals are leaking. I am 195 lbs. What else will I need to do to the forks besides having the seals and oil replaced? If I need new springs, what make and type? Thank you for the help.

kipmax

Aug 29, 2001
That would be a 1991 Japanese model KDX200SR wouldn't it? With blue inverted forks (notorious for leakage)? Does it have a key under the seat on the left side?

If so, you will not be shreading any berms at the local MX track. But, depending on your level you might be much happier with it than a motocrosser for general play use.

With your weight, you will find the front fork MUCH too soft for hard riding. You will surely need to upgrade to heavier springs. Setting the sag on the rear will probably be enough on that end.

If you are lucky, and it is an "R" model (competition) you will find that a good pipe and stiffer suspension will keep you playing all day at the track and not really wishing for more power (unless you are trying to out sprint the late model 250s...).

G

GlowMe

Originally posted by kipmax
That would be a 1991 Japanese model KDX200SR wouldn't it? With blue inverted forks (notorious for leakage)? Does it have a key under the seat on the left side?
kipmax,
well, I think that it is a unique Japanese Duel Purpose bike. It is a KDX but I cannot determine what displacement it is. I have yet to take a close look at it. But I do know that it has a steel gas tank. And as far as I know, only bikes that were intended to run on the street. Have you heard about these? I am just getting back into dirt riding and the only experience is a couple of DP bikes (a XL600, and a NX650). Both were big and heavy. I am looking for a beater bike right now, but in the future, I want a well rounded bike that I can jump once and a while (over a couple of inches off of the ground) and that I can use on dirt road and occasional trails. Would the KLX be a good bike, or would you recommend the KDX?

TONY78

Sep 5, 2001
Yes, you are correct. Here in Aus we have plenty of both dual purpose (metal tank/road registered) bikes aswell as kdx enduro bikes with plastic tanks. I am actually troubled by metal tank version at the moment. These bikes came out water cooled and with oil injection. You may have trouble with the injection kit, like i am. It can be unreliable, and to solve the problem i am trying to remove it and run premix. The last thing you want when riding in the bush is to seize a motor because its getting no oil.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by kipmax
With blue inverted forks (notorious for leakage)?
my forks leaked only due to the crappy seals that kawasaki uses. A better quality seal (don't flame me on this) is a yamaha factory seal. The ones from an early 90's yz250 fit nicely.

FSracing

Jun 18, 2000
i think that the best of two worlds is a mod mx 250 bike...

Put more weight on the flywheel
Put more tooth on your rear spoke
And play with the stock suspension setting

result: good competitive bike in a mx track
and good competitive bike in the wood

Top Bottom