Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Just picked up my KDX 220 yesterday, and while looking thru the manual I found this on page 10:
"The lubricative quality of the gas/oil mixture deteriorates rapidly; use a fresh mixture for each day of operation."
Now, this really surprised me. I have had 2-stroke chainsaws and weedwackers that I have left stabilized gas/oil in for months at a time, with never a problem, and now they tell me I need to use fresh mixture every day? Realistically, how long is the mixture in the tank good for?
Also, the break-in page was a surprise. With less than one hour on the engine, I am supposed to drain the coolant, remove the cylinder head, cylinder and piston, decarbon the exhaust ports, and remove the carbon inside the combustion chamber. Now, this bike is just intended for mild trail riding at slow speeds in the forest---is all this necessary? I have owned a Kawasaki H2 triple years ago, and never was told to do anything like this. I have always taken good care of equipment, but this seems extreme.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
Forgot to mention I did read the new bike prep section, but does this apply to both 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines, or only to two stroke? I have probably owned about 12 cycles over the last 18 years, and 4 of them were 2-strokes, and of those 2 were Kawasakis, and I have never seen this in an owner's manual before. Is this something new, or does it apply only to dirt bikes? What are the chances of getting damage from a metal burr if this piston examination process is deleted? Thanks for any help.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I don't know of anyone who has done a top-end inspection on a KDX after the break-in period. Just the manufacturers CYA policy, IMO. Since you do have a 220 though, do a search for information on the premature piston failure some members have experienced.

I have also let my pre-mix sit for several weeks at a time without a noticeable difference in performance. I do winterize it properly though. You can read a lot about that in these forums.

The best advice I can give is to read the owner's manual, but use it conjunction with the experience and knowledge of DRN members. Do a lot of searches, and use your best judgment on using that advice.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
My Bud has the 2002 200 and laughs about the break in. He also runs marine 2 cycle oil and swears by it. So I don't know, I guess it's subject to personal opinion. I use the same premix for about a month usually, then put mostly fresh stuff in the can and mix it up and it always runs fine. (synthetic)

Towards the end of the season I start buying and mixing fuel 2 gallons at a time so I end up with little left. Although I prefer Kero, I'll use the leftover premix to start coldwinter campfires and start fresh in the spring.

Have Fun on Your New Machine!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Chief

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I just use fuel from my five gallon can as needed. It never lasts more than two or three weeks anyway. At the end of the season whatever gas is left over goes in my lawn mower can for next year. it's a four stroke but doesn't seem to mind the premix at all.

on my first ride last year the bike still had alot of gas in it so I just went out riding. The gas was old and definately caused the bike to not run so good. All winter was too long but I have used gas as old as three months before with no probs.

Instaurare

Sep 22, 2003
I appreciate all of the feedback. I think that manufacturers are attempting to cover themselves as much as possible, so as to avoid warranty claims----if anything goes wrong, they can state that the consumer did not follow procedure as described in the manual. But I bet if they listed excerps from this manual in their advertising copy, probably about 90% of first time buyers would sure think twice before making the purchase! I am just going to treat this the same way that I did with all of my other bikes, none of which gave me problems. Thanks again! I really like this bike a lot.

Top Bottom