KDX Power Valve

zzmongo

Mar 8, 2002
Anyone have experience cleaning the power valve to a KDX 200?
My '91 has turned into a dog and dies if I abruptly open the throttle from idle. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
If you never cleaned a 91's power valve, chances are you broke it. Take the pipe and power valve cover off then start it. Does the actuator turn? Then remove the actuator gear, the nut is left hand thread, hold the gear in place with a cresent wrench and remove the nut. Now look in to the exhaust port and manually actuate the power valve. Does it open and close properly? Chances are either the shaft or gears are bad.

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
i used to have a 91 kdx200, my suggestion would be to get a service manual, i have one actually, i do have a scanner so if you wanted i could probably email you that section, but you will need to take the top end apart to clean it, meaning take off the head and take the cylinder off of the bike, my email is jamin326@hotmail.com, also how is your jetting, that can affect roll on power

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Yeah I recently took the top end on my '88 kdx apart (for the first time) and cleaned & serviced everything. My exhaust valves were almost completely clogged with carbon build-up. When I got it back together, I discovered that my bike does indeed have a powerband! :) I'd suggest taking your top end apart and inspecting everything.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Clogged powervalves will not cause the bike to die from abruptly opening the throttle from idle. That sounds more like a fuel delivery problem. Could also be from low compression. Do a compression test. If its low you can clean the powervalves while you have the top-end apart for piston & rings. If the compression is ok you might check for leaks in the intake boot. Did you recently have the carb off the bike?

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
Leaks in the intake boot will not cause the bike to die. Conversely, they will make it seem like you have a drag bike. If you haven't cleaned the powervalves, I'd suggest doing so, but that won't cause your bike to die either. My buddies '94 was missing most of the powervalves assy. It only died at high rpm. On the other hand, broken reeds and or a collapsed pipe will cause it to die. Check your air filter, has it been cleaned? What about your spark arrestor? If your bike has the original pipe, they were double walled. The inner wall has a tendency to collapse, in essence stopping your exaust. No matter what, clean those powervalves before you wind up with an expensive repair from them breaking. :whiner:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…