Kdx Project

Rich Graham

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2002
New to site. Jumpin in! I've owned an 81,84,88,91, and have finally snapped a 97 for $2000(!!). Very little use, never been apart. Anyhoo,it's in boxes, frame ready for paint. I've settled on most of the mods... Fredette port,RB Designs,FMF K35,TCII,607,Twin Air,no lid,Golden Spectro@40:1 w/Sunoco 94,BR9ES. Sunstars(steel)/D.I.D.Vector will go on, and on,... I race scrambles/CC, a good Vet A, trail around the finger lakes of western New York. I'd appreciate any reco's(new or old) for suspension(170#),radiator guards,lower fork/disc protection. THANKX!! In closing, I have found this site to be KDX heaven. The exchanges are hilarious and informative. I look forward to throwing in my 2 cents and checking out yours.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
<< I'd appreciate any reco's(new or old) for suspension(170#),radiator guards,lower fork/disc protection. >>

Suspension questions...common question with no common answers. I’ll give my $0.02…

Since you are a woods rider I’d tend to keep the suspension plush. I’ve seen the RaceTech & FRP recommendations and, in my worthless opinion, RaceTech’s recommendations tend to be on the harsh side while FRP’s seem right (for woods riding).

How was your ’91 suspended? Did you like it? The newer KDX’s tend to use slightly higher spring rates. I think FRP suggests a .38 for your bike.

As far as disc guards and rad guards, there are current discussions going on in this forum.

Rich Graham

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2002
The 91 was stock,good in back, vague in front. My racebike has been an 89 kx250(set up for woods), but the 97 200 is going to be my #1. I rode it stock before dismantling it. Front wheel skating was the biggest prob. I'll probably try the .38s first. Anyone done that , then got Gold Valve(or revalve)? Comparison/Improvement??

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Welcome aboard Rich. I revavled with RT GV's and springs, front and rear. Jeff Fredette, www.frpoffroad.com , set me up with the front fork stacks which I installed myself and Sage (fellow DRNer) revavled the shock with his stack configuration. The bike works 100% better than stock. I recommend RT and GV's. Call Jeff or Sage, you can't go wrong with these guys.

OR

If you want to go big time, have Wilkey set you up with a custom MX-Tech front end, complete with rebound adjusters. Saweeeet! :thumb:

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with while hopping up your KDX. ;)

Rich Graham

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2002
Thankx RTL. I'm going to take a look at all options with the forks. The $$ are flowing to the motor right now. Just got the FMF "torque' pipe,607's, and a gold, alum. alloy pipe guard. Next step is to box the carb up fpr RB mod. I have never been more stoked about a bike like I am about this one. Woods paradise!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…