Sep 3, 2007
So, I am looking for a new bike. I am effectively looking to spend $3k on a very clean bike.

A few people have recommended 4-stroke bikes to me (CRF 250X, KTMs). I have been ridding a 90 KDX200 for some time now. Now, I was concerned with reliability of the 250, as well as a possible lack of speed.

Supposedly, the newer 250s are supposedly faster and would "clean up" on a KDX. But what about reliability?

I only have two main concerns about a KDX, and those are a possible lack of parts, and what is said to be outdated suspension. Personally, I love ridding the thing, and it fits my price range better than the Honda, but I am still sort of on the fence about this one.

Has anyone transplanted a modern inverted fork into one of these? Would it really benefit me that much for trail/fun ridding and possibly an enduro down the line?

Are the 220s really that unreliable? I see more of those for sale locally than the 200, but I am still a bit leery of them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Some searching on here will show plenty of threads about swapping inverted forks onto the KDX. Some guys even go as far as to putting the KDX powerplant into a much more nimble and modern 125 chassis.

The only "reliability issue" with the 220 is a crappy stock piston. It's a poor casting with many flaws that cause the skirt to be prone to breaking. I'm sure most 220's out there have no problem what-so-ever, but an aftermarket piston should be top of the list. I had a new 220 piston before and there was no way I was going to put that paper weight in my bike. Wiseco for my old 220.

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
You should be able to buy a brand new leftover for not much more than $3000. There was one on **** last week that didn't sell from Lake Elsinore, CA. I put gold valves in the forks and had the shock revalves and sprung, works great, no maintenance!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'm a former KDX owner and enthusiast. I owned a nice 90 KDX with a reworked suspension and a monster motor. I even had the pleasure of riding some very nice H models, like Wolf's EG225 with full RaceTech suspension.

Nice bike, but it doesn't compare to a modern 250F. The new 250F's are light, powerful and handle like a dream. And they are very reliable. Go guest-ride a WR250F or CRF250X and see what I mean.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
don't be discouraging the KDX luddites, Junk. Someone has to continue to ride them and keep telling us they're the bee's knees.

if they got a dose of nice hi-tech new bikes, Jeff Fredette wouldn't know what to do with all those KDX parts bikes.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
XRpredator said:
don't be discouraging the KDX luddites, Junk. Someone has to continue to ride them and keep telling us they're the bee's knees.

if they got a dose of nice hi-tech new bikes, Jeff Fredette wouldn't know what to do with all those KDX parts bikes.
Here you with the Luddite thing again. Man, you must get your arse whooped daily on the track/ trail by us folks riding these "vintage bikes"to hold so much animosity toward them or us. GET A LIFE OR GET A KDX DUDE.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
If you haven't rode dirtbikes before, the KDX is a good starter bike and nice used ones can be had in the $2k range. If you are confident that dirtbiking is your thing, skip the KDX and follow Captain Obvious' advice. The new four-strokes have mellow power delivery that lends itself to beginning riders, but when you want to rip, they can do that too. And as long as you are reasonable with your maintenance, you shouldn't have any problems regardless of whether you ride a 2T or 4T.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
wanaride said:
If you haven't rode dirtbikes before, the KDX is a good starter bike and nice used ones can be had in the $2k range. If you are confident that dirtbiking is your thing, skip the KDX and follow Captain Obvious' advice. The new four-strokes have mellow power delivery that lends itself to beginning riders, but when you want to rip, they can do that too. And as long as you are reasonable with your maintenance, you shouldn't have any problems regardless of whether you ride a 2T or 4T.

I agree. The main reliability issue with moder 4t bikes is titanium valve trains. Most who are concerned reliability switch to Kibblewhite valve setups. For less than 500 bucks, you will probly never have to touch them again. Other than that, just normal miantenance that even a KDX needs.

Ewetah

Jun 29, 2007
My 2 cents

The KDX is a great bike as long as you know it abilities and limitations and buy it for what it is designed for. I got a new 2005 220 for around the price that you are looking at spending and it is just great. I have owned several open class two stokes and raced desert 25 years ago.

I do not race any more and I love to trail ride and go out with my boy riding. I do not ride MX tracks either. The bike is perfect for my riding and my wallet! If money was not a concern I would get a KTM EXC 300 two stroke but that would have cost more than 2X's what I paid for my new KDX.

Look at what you plan to do with the bike and take into consideration what the others have advised. The KDX is a good reliable bike that have made a lot of people happy over the years.

Top Bottom