dightonford

Jul 1, 2006
Hi all, I am in the process or rebuilding an 83 & 85 KDX 200's.
I found a pic of an 83 KDX with front and rear disc on bikepics....
Has anyone done this?? I don't mind fabbing a bracket for the master cyl/lever but I'm not sure what year KDX/KX swingarm would work. 1989 KDX??
I'm not scared, just curious about wheel alignment, etc
Thanks in advance...............

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Jeff Fredette used to offer rear disc brake kits for the '86 - '88 KDX200's. If you try to use a 1989 and newer swingarm, then you will be doing a lot of custom work, I think. Have you bypassed putting a rear disc brake hub on your stock axle and swingarm??

dightonford

Jul 1, 2006
Well, I was trying to go the inexpensive route by using "used" parts from ****.
That picture I refered to on bikepics appears to be a KDX swing arm. Just thought maybe someone here had done this swap before.
I am converting the front to disc as we speak. Maybe that will be enough.....just like the "cool" factor of it.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I understand on buying stuff from e-Bay. It is great.

I may have seen that picture before on bikepics, but I can't remember where. Care to provide a link??

I would imagine that getting the 1989 and newer parts (modern linkage style) to directly bolt up to a dog-bone style (early - mid '80's KX / KDX style) setup would not be too easy. I think some welding or fabrication would be needed to get all the angles set up properly.

Since the front brake is used a lot more than the rear, normally, converting to front disc may be enough for you. Just keep that rear hub out of water and sand. :-)

dightonford

Jul 1, 2006
I tried to add a link....this website would not let me for some reason. If you go on bikepics*com then kawasaki, kdx200, scroll down to 1983. There is a pic of one with rear disc. I was hoping it might be a bolt-on affair. Oh well, front disc going together as we speak. Should be a major improvement. Thanks for your replies....Josh.

Last edited:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Thanks for the directions on where to look.

I don't know if that guy used the stock swingarm or not. It may be a later model. It looks like he still has the dog-bone linkage style setup.

Good luck with it!

dightonford

Jul 1, 2006
That KX swing could work.....off to kawasaki*com to check some part #'s!!!!
I don't know why I want to dump all sorts of money into a antique dirtbike.
I know why; I'm crazy.......

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with you on this one! I've just got hold of an 86 KX125 frame for my 87 200 motor. Plan to mate it to an 89 subframe, swing and linkage. And a 45mm USD front end and recent shock on the rear. Keep us posted.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I can already tell you that the KX swingarm is not the same as the KDX swingarm. Besides travel requirements, the disc holder doohickey is different than a drum. Sorry to get technical. :-)

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
just get the measurement (from a wrecker or **** vendor) across the width at the pivot end. Everything else should go on fine cos you'll use the same wheel that goes with the swingarm right? Might have to machine or adapt a dogbone. I think the 250 had an adjustable one.

dightonford

Jul 1, 2006
I would think as long as the width of the pivot side (inner & outer) was the same, I will be good to go. I would get everything "KX" to go with it; brakes, etc.
My one question is: the KDX shock mounts upside down, would that affect the suspension geometry? (travel)???
As I stated, I don't mind making up some spacers, etc...just not sure about the shock deal.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom