KDX - red sticker? green sticker? will it matter?

iew

Feb 3, 2005
Hey folks. I do not own a dirt bike yet, but looking to get back into it soon with my son. After convincing myself that I did not want a 2 stroke (because of the hard hitting power and very little torque at low rpm that I remember about the MX bikes that I sometimes rode as a kid), I was recently convinced to consider the KDX 200/220. Having read about them, it sounds like a good fit for what I want out of a bike.

However, I am concerned about red sticker / green sticker issues or any other potential restrictions that I could run into after getting one. This bike will have to last me for the long term. I am not aware of any restrictions in my area (Atlanta), but I do not want to find out after the fact that I am restricted to riding only certain months of the year or only on private tracks or that a year or two later after getting one that I am restricted from riding it at all on public land simply because it's a two stroke.

Are any of the KDX model years "green sticker"? Does it matter? Any restrictions that you know of now or hearing rumors of in the future that should cause me to not consider a KDX?

Thanks for your feedback.
IEW

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I don't know anything about the laws in Atlanta, but in No. CA, where I live, the red sticker program is not in effect due to high quality air standards. In the larger metro areas, where it is enforced, you cannot ride public land from May through Sept. or something like that. All bikes 2002 model & older are exempt from red sticker. You should check with your state motor vehicles dept. for laws in your area.

layoutd

May 17, 2004
i live in chattanooga and have a kdx. there are a ton a riding areas in georgia and non of them have restrictions. you will not be able to get a georgia tag without some mods, but you shouldn't need one.

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
I heart saddens for you guys, I just drive out of the garage and hit the trail in front of my house. Ahhh... and it feels great :nener: I hope this air quality thing doesnt get out of control, dirtbiking wouldnt be the same!

iew

Feb 3, 2005
Thanks for everyone's reply. I am not discouraged from getting a kdx yet. It does not sound like there is any need to be. Yet this is the only 2 stroke that I am considering. I've heard good things about KTM exc for a trail bike, but too much $$. Strickly based on what I've read (have not had a chance to ride any yet), my preferences are KDX 220 or 200 or XR400. At the top of my requirements list, is smooth power band, low end torque for chugging around with the kids and low maintenance, yet also able satisfy my thrill needs and get more performance out of it as my skills increase for purely trail riding. Any thoughts as to whether these choices are good ones or it there are others to consider.

40yrs old, 200lbs, bike will eventually be passed down to youngster.

Thanks.

purp

Feb 22, 2005
If your passing it down to your kid definitly go for the KDX. Do you ever see teenagers riding an XR 400? It wouldn't be a cool enough bike for them. Besides its too heavy and sucks at jumps.

Top Bottom