SS109

Jul 27, 2009
KDX silencer questions (w/pic)

Sorry for the noob questions but I haven't found (searched) anything to answer them.

I have a '90 KDX200. The pic below is off the stock silencer disassembled. I read in several threads saying that a stock silencer wasn't repackable. Is that just on a different year than mine?

Anyways, #2 appears to be a packing material of some sort and it is fully saturated black. Is this the packing I would replace with new material? Thanks.

90KDXsilencerdisassembled.jpg

Last edited:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The 1995+ spark arrestors are not rebuildable. Yours is! You are correct in thinking that part #2 is the replaceable part. It is even on the Kawasaki parts diagrams. A homemade repacking job will be OK, too.

Get a wire brush after the steel parts!

Good luck with it and thanks for the picture!

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Thank you for the info!

As for the pic, I apoligize it isn't of higher quality but you are welcome to it.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
``

For what it's worth..(maybe nothing) I have heard that a lot of people will apply Oven Cleaner on those spooged components for a good "loosening" of the goo and then soak them in Kerosene to help further loosen up the goo.

I did it on a used FMF Gold series pipe with good results.

fusion

Jan 25, 2009
longshore58 said:
For what it's worth..(maybe nothing) I have heard that a lot of people will apply Oven Cleaner on those spooged components for a good "loosening" of the goo and then soak them in Kerosene to help further loosen up the goo.

I did it on a used FMF Gold series pipe with good results.

Ya "Easy Off" is really good stuff.

I use my solvent tank to clean mine.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I cleaned it up last night. Honestly, it was easy. Messy as hell but easy. There was only a little bit of carbon buildup to remove and the rest literally just wiped off.

I was going to get packing material today for it but my car just threw it's serpentine belt so I guess I get to fix that instead. Yeah. :bang:

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
It threw more than the belt. After getting in to it I found it had broken the automatic belt tensioner. Oh well, back to the bike this weekend.

Top Bottom