yater

Nov 7, 2003
I've been shopping around for a great trail bike and just found this site and thread. My last bike was a '89 kx 125. For the past few years I've been out of the loop but now I need another bike. I'm 5'7" 150# and found the 125 was an acceptable but borderline height for me to handle. How does the kdx 200 compare in seat height? Does anyone of similar build have experience with this bike? Riding experience isn't the issue but size. Thanks Yater

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Yater, I'm not sure of the height of a 125, but most bikes are around the same height. Just because it's a 200, doesn't mean it's going to be taller.
A KTM125 is about their tallest bike.

I've got longer dogbones on my 200, but in our normal riding area, do just as well with the bike stock (yip, I tried a few weeks ago, we'd adjusted the bike for my husband but I had to take it out for a ride, too). It depends on confidence. No, I don't have any and the bike felt wierd for the first little while, but a lot of that was I've been riding my TTR125L for about a month.

I'm 5'2.5". We ride tight, technical trails in sand, but also do farmland riding & mud/rut/root riding. For the mud/rut/root riding, I've decided I need more confidence, a lighter, smaller bike, hence the TTR, but fully intend to get back on the KDX there in the future, so long as my confidence improves.

Do go down to a dealer, or go check one out nearby, they're a good, bullet-proof bike for trailriding (even if old-school).

yater

Nov 7, 2003
Thank you both-- I'm really fired up on the kdx now and I'll be looking for a used one in my area. The seat height is a nearly 2 inches lower than the kx I used to ride according to specs. I can't believe I overlooked these bikes-- They really seem to fit my needs. Thanks again, Yater

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
A cheap, easy, and reversible way to lower the height of a KDX is to cut down the thick, cushy seat foam. Un-staple the seat cover, and take an electric carving knife to cut down and shape the foam.

Do a search in the forums here, and you'll find more detailed info on this technique. When you get taller, just buy some replacement foam.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Check koubalink.com for lowering neads. I bought a part off him for my wifes crf150. GREAT service and part. Three heights to choose from.

As far as the KDX, $ for $, the best trail bike ever made. Bar none.

kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
Hi, I am 5'6" and I have a 220, I did cut the seat foam about 1 1/2" and that helped a lot, also just getting used to a taller bike takes a little while.(I had a xr200 before). But now I love it and when I get on the xr it seems small and it felt tall when I first got it also. The KDX is a great bike.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Yater, I was in the same position as you.... looking for a bike... loved my OLD KX... wanted more trail freindly bike with a headlight... was a good rider, a bit out of practice.... considering the KDX against a full MX.... felt iffy about the KDX height...

I am 5'8" 165lbs.... I bought a '01 KDX this fall... (the KDX hasnt changed in several years, so, if you're going for used worry more about how it's been ridden than what year it is (assuming it's relatively new)...

The KDX felt VERY tall to me at first... but I deal with it pretty well... I am going to try lowering it this spring just to check it out that way too...

I cant believe how well it handles the trails.... I am a bit crazy, and my dirtbiking skills came right back quickly, but the KDX has kept up with me pretty well I must say... (it even jumps better than my old KX did)... It hasn't got the crazyy powerband the KX had, but the lower end power more than makes up for it.. (I grind up hills now that I would have had to been balls out, rear wheel spinning, up before... but I still have the balls out option too... :)

If you ride primarily trails, the KDX is hard to top... (I never knew how much more in control on the trails I could be with the right bike... not dissing the KX, I still love 'em, but for me a bike with a little more torque is good.)

In conclusion, I think that, although it may feel high and clumsy, that height helps on a lot of the trails (clearance).... and, once your rolling, you'll feel very comfy.... you may have to lean a little to get up on her, and when you stop... but it's not about how comfy it is at a stop now is it?....

let us know what you get... there are some REALLY good deals out there on a KDX that is a few years old but barely ridden.. (remember, literaly no change in design in the past several years)

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
found out the skinny for ya on the year thing... one link away... lol.... The KDX has not change since '95...

yater

Nov 7, 2003
alright, I'm sold on the kdx. I'm looking for one now so if you have any leads, please let me know (I'm looking for '96-'2000) because they are in my price range (1500-2000). I've decided that I can deal with the height problem when and if it comes up. I'm really excited to get back on a 2-stroke and love the idea of low end torque rather than all or nothing (kx). Thanks everyone--I'll let you know what happens and I'll be looking for someone to ride with pretty soon!!!

Top Bottom