smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
My 1993 KDX has taken to consuming rear pads quite quickly on muddy rides (as if there are any other kind here in ohio :think ). I thought they might be hanging, so I checked the pins and they're ok. The caliper is not sticking so the only other thing I can think of is my rotor. I'm going to go with a solid one but want one that is of good quality and reasonable cost. Any ideas on which one to get and where to get it for the best deal? Thanks in advance.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I replaced both the front and rear rotors on my 91 kdx with some solid ones from Jeff Fredette. I noticed much better wear and feel with my brakes in any wet or muddy conditions. The break pads lasted noticeably longer and I saw no appreciable deterents (noise, squealing, etc). If \ when I have to ever replace a rotor in the future, it will be a solid one.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Why would a solid rotor not stop as quickly as a slotted rotor when it is dry? There is actually more surface area (marginal) than a slotted rotor. Unless you are really hard on brakes (to the point of overheating), why would it matter?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
If you ride aggressively your brakes will heat up very quickly, the slots in your rotor not only remove heat but also remove trapped gasses that are released from the pads. These gasses act like an air gap between the pads and the rotor which makes them feel mushy (brake fade).

Last edited:

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
:) :) :) I have been extremely happy with mine.(Bought from Fredette) Pads last MUCH longer not only in the mud but last longer in the dry also. I usually get a whole season out of a set of pads. Of course I am old and slow ;)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
hey thanks for all your help guys, I'll have to give fredette a call and see how much it'll be, I think I can justify spending some cash, considering I'm using at least three sets of pads a year.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Fredette makes good quality solid rotors. I've also tried a rear rotor made by DRN's willstyle. A fellow KDXer in Org. with excellent machining talents. You’ll be able to contact him via his email on the members list.

David

Top Bottom