kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
I'm looking to keep my KDX suspension plush, but I the imbalance front to rear was very noticable. I reduced the rear preload which lowered the ride height. I have 4" of sag while sitting on the bike now. This helped the handling considerably, but the front still seems too sag a little too much while riding. When I sit on it while parked, I think its only a couple of inches though. I ordered the .37 springs from my local Kawi dealer also. I think this should give the result I'm looking for. A friend (who knows the KDX's) suggested that I "set the KDX up so you bottom out a few times every ride. This will make for a smoother ride, and then you control the deal with the dampening and re-bound."

Anyone else set up like this?

Also, how much front fork sag should I have? I never see any info on setting the sag in the front.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I'm getting the Fredette Racing 0.38 Springs for my 05 220. A local guy who does suspensions is going to set the front springs and oil for my weight for $60. Not a bad deal. I just don't have the time for learning suspension work right now. Engine I can do to a point. But someday I will learn. I'll let ya know how they work

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
kx250kev said:
A friend (who knows the KDX's) suggested that I "set the KDX up so you bottom out a few times every ride. This will make for a smoother ride, and then you control the deal with the dampening and re-bound."

Also, how much front fork sag should I have? I never see any info on setting the sag in the front.

That's some poor advice!

You want about 22 to 25% of your front suspension travel dedicated to race sag - about 2 1/2" to 2 7/8" in total. There should also be about 1/2" of free sag.

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
2 1/2" to 2 7/8"...well, I might have more that 2" of front sag, I'll have to double check. I might have measured it wrong. I guess your supposed to take an average of this measurement. Overcompress, then release the front with me on it, then completely unload, then sit on it. Average of those two measurements is the actual sag. In my friends defense, I did emphasize that I wanted to retain a plush ride and that my 120lb wife would also be riding this bike. That hasn't happened yet, maybe this weekend.

Top Bottom