KDX to KX front forks conversion complete

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Finished the conversion this evening. Everything seemed to go smooth.
KDX stem in the lower KX clamp needs a spacer when you press it in the clamp. Spacers between the top bearing nut and the bottom of the upper clamp to raise upper clamp slightly, and spacer between stem the upper clamp hole. Steerling stops also need a touch of modification. I felt like "Jesse James". Machined all the spacers and steering stops my self :)

Seems to work just fine. I'm taking it out tomorrow for a full check over. I'll post a pic as well, It looks great.

See you at DW

Check to F/S forum for the 96 KDX front end

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Congrats to you Midhigh!
I enjoy my KX forks more than I imagined. Here is a tip when you take her out for a ride the first time.
1. take a small screwdriver and release the air pressure in the forks with no load on the front wheel before the first ride after arriving at your riding area.
2. Do this every 2 hours or so to releive the air pressure. Remember, these were made for 45 minute moto's, not all day enduro / trail rides.
3. Play with the comp / rebound adjustments starting at the midway point. I had a buddy watch me from a side on view as well as head on view over various terrains and he let me know how things were looking. If you have a video camera, that is even better to review later that evening.

Once dialed in, they will take anything you can throw at them. I've scared myself silly thinking I've really done it this time when in reality, I floated over what ever obstical I thought would wipe me out. (and would with the stock suspension too). I too enjoyed fabricaing my own spacers and getting everything looking and working like a factory WORKS setup.

Contact Jeff Fredette on selling your front end. He bought my forks for $150 and my front wheel for $50 plus shipping. I sold my rotor and leftover tripleclamp parts on eBay for $50 and $10 respectively. This almost paid for the KX parts.
Let us know how your test run goes.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You can buy fork bleeders from Motion pro. Cost like $20 and you can releave the pressure at any time. There is also remote units out there.

Also be sure to invest in some seal savers if you have not done so already!

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I took the KDX/KX out for it's first run today. WOW OH WOW!!!!!!!!!

Why KDX's don't come with these forks I will never now. It was awesome.
Handled extremely well on the track and in the woods:)

I am ready for DW!!!

I do however miss the steering damper. I sure could tell a major difference.
But it works very well and I am very pleased with the outcome. after selling all the KDX front end, The KX conversion was only $50 :) :)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
"I am ready for DW!!!"

I'll track you down because I'd like to see the conversion. What days will you be there?

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
Thats awesome, I agree with you about kawasaki building a better suspended kdx. I did the same thing to my last kdx, but I had to add the kx shock also, cause the forks were longer with more travel. This time I did my kdx tottaly different, and I know what you mean about feeling like Jessy James. Its a cool feeling.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
RV6junkie,

I will be at DW Late:30 Wednesday night or early:30 Thursday.
I'll be their thru Saturday Night.
Blue Ford E350 van and a bright red trailer
Bike #213

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Thanks, I'll track you down.

Top Bottom