Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
Well, i finally got my kdx together. When i got the bike together, it didnt run well at all. It idled ok but it was very rough in low end, it mid it smoothed out. And the bike would leak out gas from the overflow sometimes. I never brought it to the top end as i am trying to complete a break in. I went to the dealer figuring it was a carb issue, the guy set the floats but he said they were pretty spot on. Also my needle valve was a bit worn so i bought a new one. Once i got the carb back on it didnt leak. When i started the bike though it seemed to run worse. Now in the low and mid it ran rough.
So i said the heck with it and brought it to the dealer. When i got there we tried to figure out the problem. He was revving the bike pretty high like 3/4 to full throttle i dont know how good it was for the top end since i was only 10 minutes into my break in but o well. As we were running the bike, it died. It was smoking a ton and i mean a ton before it died, so we figured the plug fouled. Sure enough the plug was gas fouled. So we put in a new plug and nothing, so we tried a different plug, and nothing. So we took out the plug only to find no spark!!!! The one thing that my dealer told me was that i should have kept the cap that is on the top of the spark plug on for a better connection to the ignition coil. He said since i was always taking it off it may have fried the CDi or ignition coil since it was a very sloppy fit without the Spark plug cap on.

My question is does the Cdi or ignition coil make the bike run crappy if they are bad?

Also, would it most likely be the Cdi or the igintion coil that has the problem?? thanks for any help. My cousin just invited me to ride next weekend and i want to get the bike back togetether if at all possible.

Tusk

Apr 5, 2006
I was thinking "How old is your gas?" till you got to the no spark part. Did you try a new plug?

How about warm up time?

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
gas was maybe 3 weeks old. As far as warm up time probably not very much untill he started to rev it alot. It was very warm by me though so im sure it warmed up pretty quick.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
AS far as the problem. I guess when I had the bike at the dealer when he was riding it, a wire must have come loose. It was one right next to the Cdi. Once he put it back on it had spark again. As far as the rough riding. i had a 155 main but after the rejetting my dealer put in a 145. And my 48 pilot went to a 42 pilot. I guess the bike was running so rich it was making the bike run rough. I knew from the start it was running very rich. But i didnt really want to touch the jetting untill i got the top end broken in. Obviously i had no choice. Thanks for all your help, everyone.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom