TONY78

Sep 5, 2001
My friends kdx is given me grief, everytime we go riding it plays up and he certainly wont do anything about it. Recently we were riding in the bush and the kdx just kept loosing power and then locking the back wheel and stalling. It didn't cease completely because we could start it again and ride for about 50m before it would do the same thing. If you kept the revs up it may have gone for a bit longer before it stopped again. We did notice that the it wasn't blowing any smoke. Could it be that the oil injection is blocked? If so, is possible to clamp the oil feeder line and just run premix, or do we have to remove the injection kit? any advice

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
Is it air or water cooled? They (kdx's) changed to liquid cooling in 1989, and in the switch the oil injection unit was also droped (I think).

TONY78

Sep 5, 2001
I'ts definetely water cooled, but i'm not positive about the year, it had the dodgy blue block lettering for graphics on the metal tank.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
will the engine run fine at idle without riding it? I noticed you said it would only go fifty meters before stalling again. It could be one of several things but here's my guess. Either the rear brake would be getting too warm and expanding thus locking the rear wheel and stalling the bike (unlikely but could happen). The engine would run fine at idle in this case. Or your carb jets are dirty and will not allow the fuel into the engine properly. It is possible to remove the oil injection system but I've heard mixed replies about the process. Rule out the small things first before trying to disable the oil injection. Good Luck :)

TONY78

Sep 5, 2001
At idle the bike would only run for about 30 seconds before the revs would slowly start to drop and then it would finally stop. I''m pretty certain the wheel locks up because the motor stops and not vice-versa. This would rule out any brake failure. The bike has recently be rebuilt if that is of any help!

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Sounds like you're running out of fuel. Does the bike have a fuel filter? Pull the fuel line off the carb and turn on the fuel, it should pour out pretty quickly. If that is fine then the carb should be pulled and cleaned. While the carb is off check the float level.

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
I dont think the bike you are talking about is a Kdx. There has never been a liquid cooled kdx with a metal tank, or oil injection. I think you should find out the make, modle, and year of that bike before you ask anymore questions. After all this problem could be better diagnosed if we actually know what bike it is.

If you still think it is a kdx or even a Kawasaki, you can go to http://www.buykawasaki.com/ and view parts diagrams. That might help you in identfication.

TONY78

Sep 5, 2001
I'M NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT RANGE OF BIKES YOU GOT OVER THERE IN THE US, BUT I AM POSITIVE (BET MY HOUSE ON IT) THAT THE BIKE I AM TALKING ABOUT IS A KDX. IT HAS A RADIATOR (ie LIQUID COOLED), IS OIL INJECTED (THE RES IS LOCATED UNDER THE FUEL TANK), AND THE TANK IS DEFINETELY METAL BECAUSE WE HAD TO WELD UP A LEAK. AFTER FURTHER CONFIRMATION WITH THE OWNER I AM SURE NOW THAT IT IS AN 89' KDX 200 AND HAS A COMPLIANCE PLATE ALLOWING IT TO BE ROAD REGISTERED IN AUSTRALIA. ANYTHING MORE YOU NEED TO KNOW?

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
Soorry, I am just going from the website, and past expereriance. I did not think about modles varying from country to country, I did not take the time to even look where your from. I tried not to make you angry when I wrote that, but it obviously did not work. Can you get pictures of the bike? I would like to see it.

TONY78

Sep 5, 2001
Sorry champ, i didn't mean to have a go at you. I too looked at the website and couldn't find that model with an oil injection kit. I'll do some investigating with kawasaki australia, and post an update with any relevant info for you.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Tony, you're possibly talking about an KDX200 SR, which they don't
get in the states. Check a bit further down the page, or even on the
next for someone who has some knowledge when it comes to this bike.
(sorry forgotten his nick, but just remember reading the thread in
the past couple of days). The SR model is street legal (we get a few
here in unzud, but they're mainly Jap imports I think). Hope that
helps some.

TONY78

Sep 5, 2001
Thanks for that, the guys nickname is kipmax and he's a bloody wizard when it comes to a kdx. I read the threads and he sure does know what he is talking about. He confirmed that the bike i'm having trouble with is a 89' kdx200sr.

Danny 8785, if your still after some more info on the dual purpose kdx models released over here check out a thread titled "kdx200sr". It has a heap of info onthis bike and kdx's in general and some pics.

kipmax

Aug 29, 2001
Oops :)

Sorry, been away from the board for a while.

I'll post some pics of the SR and "R" (Competition model) later. I am picking up a "R" tomorrow for parts (to put on my recently restored SR).

I'll try to outline the differences in photos.

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
I think that I helped to bring this off subject a little. I hope you find out what is wrong with the bike, as i also I also hope it is not serious. As i am sure you figured out, i dont really have any idea what is wrong with it. The only thing i have done is nit picked the details. Surely, someone on this site has had simeler trouble with one of their bikes. Some one will help you (hopefully).

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
As I was reading down the page I was screaming SR SR SR. Thanks Michelle, PS was in Auckland this weekend but was a bit whirlwind so didn’t look you & Henk up.

Anyway it really does sound like it’s seizing, I mean what other possible reason would the back wheel lock up? Running out of gas won’t be this violent. Turn the tap on & run the gas into a bucket without it stopping will confirm this anyway.

So if it is seizing the oil injection may be at fault, but either way chances are there is serious damage happening or about to happen inside.

Don’t go riding with this guy until he pulls the top end for a looksee or you will be stuck towing the plonker out when it calls “Enough, I demand oil or I quit”. Which is a reasonable request.

Oil injection
Oil injection has the advantage that when you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere you can blag some straight petrol from the local farmer.

Many people slag off oil injection which works just fine in zillions of road bikes everywhere. These old world closed minded people cannot accept the risk that the oil pump mechanism will continue to meter oil reliably into your precious engine.

When I discovered (just in time) that my oil level of my old DT200 was not going down I became one of these people.

We meet on Tuesday nights.

Top Bottom