Jompa

Oct 13, 2002
Hi all,

Any suggestions which frame to use for a KX500 project? I haven't decided to go KDX or KX yet. Could anyone tell me which year of KDX I should try to get my hands on?

Thanks,

/John

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I know the KX5 engine has been shoved into a KX250 frame before.  Never heard of anyone doing that to a KDX200.  FWIW, the KDX200 engine is more similar in size to a 125 than to a 250, so my guess is the KX500 engine would be a tight fit. 

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Farmer John attempted to shove a KX500 enging into a 1996 KDX 200 rolling chasis.  I'm not sure if he got it completed.  I do know that he had to have a gas tank fabricated.  Maybe he'll post here.

Jompa

Oct 13, 2002
Thanks for the reply!

Having read through some stuff on this forum I think I want at least a 95-er right? Does anyone know the major differences in suspension and the frame in general between the KDX and the KX?

I have to admit, I only have KX's - but I do have two of them!

/John

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Jompa, If you're installling a 500, I'm assuming that you plan on going a bit fast somewhere down the line. The KDX is NOT designed to go fast --It's the master at going slowly over the nastiest of terrain, but try going fast and it will have you on your @$$ before you can say the word. See the frequent threads -- "my KDX front end washes out" on this forum. Use the KX frame. Frame, shock, forks are all stronger to take the extra forces.

Jompa

Oct 13, 2002
Thanks, exactly the kind of answer I was after! Simple and right to the point. A KX frame it is then. Someone mentioned that the 250 frame is bigger than the 125? Is that a guess or fact? Once again, got a KX125 but not a 250 – yet…

/John

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Yeah, what he said.  Seems to me that I remember Farmer John saying that the frame just wasn't up to the forces generated by the KX500 engine.  I think he built it as a novelty, but found out that the frame flex that is already evident with the 200 was abundant with the 500 engine.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I'm assuming that you have a KX500 engine and no frame.
Seems like the best place to put it would be in a 500 frame; I bet e-bay could help you find one.

Jompa

Oct 13, 2002
Hum,

That's really not the problem. I have a new KX125 and an 89 KX500. The 125 is a MX bike and the 500 is a Motard. The problem is that I don't have any wheels for the 500 to take it out in the rough. So instead of just buying just the wheels I will by the whole bike (250?) and shift the engine. This would give me a couple of things.
1) A perimeter frame with proper (read new technology) suspension and all.
2) A really cool looking KX500!
3) Something to keep me of the streets :)

Anyone's got a newer KX250 with a seized engine for sale in the UK?

/John

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
I remember seeing one time in the back of an older (2 years ago?) Dirt Rider mag in the product tests they tested a kit that swaps a KX500 plant into a KX250 frame. It was about $2.5k if I remember, only because it came with a frame/plastics/etc. So I guess it would be possible to do it, might have to figit with the motor mounts though, but it would be worth it. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom