penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
KDX vs KLX opinions I have made my decision

After agonizing the last couple of days, reading this forum, and looking at Canadian Daves tech tips, I have decided to get the KDX220. Here is the list of what made up my mind:

1.) OTD purchase price: KDX: $4200, KLX:$4600

2.) cost of mods to customize the bike to fit me and my riding style:
KDX:$525, KLX:$1180 winner: KDX

3.) Weight KDX: 222lb KLX: 233lb winner: KDX

4.) Ground clearance KDX: 13.4 inches KLX: 12.6 inches , doesn't look like that much difference, but 3/4 of an inch could prevent mashed toes winner: KDX
5.) ease of starting: the KLX is a 4stroke, nuff said

When i was racing seriously years ago I had 250 2strokes so I am familair with mixing gas and oil, powervalves, topend rebuilds, etc. I just have gotten lazy in my later years. Last year the finicky starting of the KLX cost me several top 5 finishes, so I guess I will give the 2 smoker another try.

Thanks for all the advice

Last edited:

freydog

Nov 17, 1999
search the kdx forum for "klx" and you will find lots of info, some from people that have owned and rode both bikes.

Sounds like the KLX is a dang good bike, as is the kdx220. Good luck deciding!

I would think that if you rode a 4 stroke since 1997, it might bother you pre-mixing the oil and gas if you bought the kdx.

don howell

Nov 16, 2001
tHE klx has a CV carb. If you get rid of this, add a hot start kit& disconnect the crankcase vent that runs to the air box the KLX will be easier to start.My riding partner has a KLX setup like this, plus has a aftermarkert exhust installed.It does not run any stronger then my stock 97 KDX 200 with a FMF pipe and stock silcener.The KLX is nice, I even like it . But I still like my KDX better!!!

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
kdx vs. klx

I once owned a 2000 kdx 220 and my dad had a 2000 KLX 300. My Kdx
although it had fmf rev pipe, RB designs 36mm carb bore and a host of
other mods flat-out worked the KLX. The KLX is heavier has less power and
is very hard to start at times unless you do the drill perfectly. This choice
is a no-brainer, go for the KDX hands down.

Parker

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I have owned both and loved both but I would give the nod to the KDX. I think the KLX is easier to ride for slow to moderate speeds but at faster speeds the KDX comes alive.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I have made my decision look at first post for details

Thanks for all the info

Top Bottom