Red_Rooster

May 26, 2005
Ive read all the talk about needing to swap the wheel, or machine a new axle as part of the kx fork conversion. I think there may be a 3rd option. I havent done this, and propose this merely as an idea.

Here in Phoenix, there are several bearing supply houses. I dont buy bearings, or seals from the dealer, as they are overpriced. I saved over 50% by using these bearings vs the honda bearings on my last swingarm rebuild on my XR. the factory bearings had the same part numbers stamped into the race, as the new ones I purchased, so they were EXACTLY the same...So, I get them there.

Anyway, why couldnt you simply get a new bearing that will fit the wheel, yet has the correct inner diameter for the KX axle? That would typically be cheaper than a complete wheel? any comments? Ill gladly step down if this is a stupid idea....

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
If you can find a bearing that will fit that would be an excellent option. However everybody that has looked so far hasn't turned up a combo that would work. Let us know if you find the magic combo!

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
What you describe is using a KDX wheel (same OD wheel bearing) with a KX axle, requiring a fairly larger ID bearing. There is not much space left for the roller ball bearings.

pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
Definately a question for a bearing shop.Save alot of hassle and money if it works.If the bearings are physically bigger is there enough meat in a KDX hub to be skimmed out on a big lathe?? bearings and hub work if possible would be a cheaper route over complete front wheel.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
For most years, KX bearings are 37mm or 40mm OD, and KDX is 35mm. If you can get it spaced out properly, plus someone to have a large enough lathe to chuck up a hub and wok on it, plus new bearings and seals, then you will be doing great.

Top Bottom