Brian Teruya

Jan 19, 2004
I have a 2001 KDX 220. Coolant has started seeping from the weep hole near the drain plug. I presume that the mechanical seal is bad. According to the repair manual the bearing and oil seal has to be replaced also. Is this true? Seems to me that the mechanical seal can be pried out and a new one pressed in without disturbing the bearing and oil seal. The bike has very little use so far so I believe these parts are fine. I was surprised that the water pump seal has failed so early. I think that maybe the bike suffered from not being run enough. Original tires too (I think). I am the third owner of the bike and it is in cherry condition cosmetically. Barely any rub marks on frame near foot pegs.
Thanks

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Yes, the bearings have to be changed. That is what has caused your problem in the first place. The hard coating that they put on the bearings has come off and eaten your seals up. This exact same thing happened on my YZ. I had to replace everything but the impellar. Take a good look at the impellar shaft and make sure it isn't scored. The job isn't too hard and the parts weren't too expensive. Do it right the first time and you will be thanking yourself later.

Top Bottom