KDX with SRC fork brace and WER stabilizer.

Mac_380

Aug 13, 1999
I'm trying to decide which upgrade to get or just get both.Does anyone have this combination and how do they work together?
I guess if you had to chose just one which would give the most benefit?

I have a 99 KDX 200 with gold valves and stiffer springs up front.
Rear shock is all stock.I ride Forest Hill,La which has alot of roots
and other surprises under those leaves this time of year.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
IMO --I think that it depends on how fast you go. The WER doesn't do much of anything at low speeds and the gnarlier & slower the going gets, the lower I turn it down. It's actually a hindrance in the slow tight stuff where you are steering with the bars. Once you get up in 3rd & higher gears, and you're steering with the throttle, it keeps you from having to fight the bars when hitting stuff. I don't have a fork brace [yet] but I think that that too becomes more effective as speeds increase and the forks start twisting. KDX forks are unbelievable "twisty" --just hold the front wheel between your knees and yank the bars side to side --you'll wonder how the thing ever goes straight - well' it doesn't !! KDXs wander all over the place & I'll bet that front end is largely responsible. A steering brace might help out here ?? Let us know.
The WER forces you to mount your front fender about 1/2" lower than stock [this could be remedied with some clever machine work though] and the fork braces extend fairly high above the front tire so an interference problem may arise if one were to install both items on the same bike.

jruggery

Apr 6, 2003
No direct experience here, but I was considering adding a SRC fork brace also.
The only thing that scares me is that they are so close to the front tire. I
have to think if you get in some of that really sticky, grassy harescrambles
mud it would pack up in that narrow space. Maybe not, but just something
else to think/worry about before buying!

-Joe

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I have used the SRC fork brace before ...on my XR. It made a huge difference there(It was heavy and had a tendency to wander).
On the KDX I really don't see the need for it. Fork Flex is a good thing (IMO) for a woods bike, as long as the suspension is set up properly.
The WER or any other steering stabilizer seem to make more sense to me. You are talking about hitting stuff, that's what they are there for. I personnally started using one 3 years ago, and don't think I will ever own a bike without one. And I totally disagree that they are a hinderance in the tight stuff. It may take a ride or 2 to get used to it, but that's it. If it is properly set up, and functioning, it should have no effect on turning the handlebars slowly....speed (mph) really doesn't have a heck of a lot to do with it. If you hit a rock or root at slow speed, it will jerk the handlebars out of your hands, The SS will reduce the "jerk" dramatically.
My 2 cents:)

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Flex is about your worst enemy for a trail bike!

I had the SRC on my XR and that made a world of difference! no twisting of the fork when going over obstacles or in the ruts. Made such a difference that is was the difference from falling to blitzing through ruts!

For the clearance on the tire, not an issue. the only problem that I had was in the lava rocks. ones about the size of a large marble would shoot off the guard when it came around.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Matt, like you said, on the XR it made a world of difference. I agree, that type (XR) of fork flex is a hinderance.
I do not see the need for a brace on the KDX.
I say it again: Forkflex (as long as not excessive) IMO can be a good thing for a trail (woods) bike. Many of the guys I ride with prefer the 2002 KTM forks over the newer ones because they are not quite as stiff (flex).
I certainly agree that it is not something you'd want on the track.

As Matt says...clearance on the tire is not an issue.

Mac_380

Aug 13, 1999
Thanks for the input. I went out and held the tire on KDX and moved the bars,Wow there is some serious flex going on. I don't have anything to compare it to.I'll check my buddies YZ250F to see how much inverted forks flex next time we ride.

I'm going to get the SRC fork brace first.Down the road I may look into the Scotts damper,WER unit and fork brace may raise some clearance issues.
I'll post ride report on this thread once fork brace arrives.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Definately DO let us know what you think. Summers says that his brace is "sharpened" on the leading edge to scrape off mud & throw it free. I'm guessing that for trail speeds that the brace will be more beneficial than the damper. On stock KDX forks, with their excessive high speed compression damping, a damper may be of some use [at low speeds] but once they're fitted with Gold Valves or other correct
valving the front end absorbs the hits instead of deflecting all over the place. It's still very "twisty" though and the brace should help here.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by Robcolo The WER forces you to mount your front fender about 1/2" lower than stock [this could be remedied with some clever machine work though] [/B]

Robcol: I am going to put a used WER on my KX/KDX, and the fender has this step up in front of the lower fork clamp. Seems to me the tire may rub on big landings.

When you say machine work do you mean taking the mounting plate and forming it into a Zee with a sheet metal brake? Like the following side view:

____
I_____

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
I'm a little late to this party, but I hope that you guys aren't interpreting the flex from the handlebars being rubber moutned as fork flex. The bars on your bikes are rubber mounted, and might be giving you a sense of fork flex when doing what you are with the front wheel locked and yanking the bars. My 99 used to do the same thing until I replaced the bar mounts with aluminum ones, and used a top clamp that tied both of the bar mounts together. (I got tired of having to bang my steering up against the stops every time I tipped over in order to straighten the bar to fork relationship out again) In my opinion, I'd bet that the feeling you are getting is somewhat increased by the movement of the bars. That being said, my 99 felt like it had a hinge in the middle of it after I rode my exc. It was stuff like that I never noticed before on my KDX until then, so I'm not an expert on fork flex. Maybe something for you to look at though.

Just my .02 worth.

-Kurt

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The stock mounting plate is pretty thick - 1/4" i believe so I dont' think you could Z bend it but that's the idea. I think a plate just 1/2 that thick would work fine & it could be bent to raise the WER's position & eliminate those fender spacers. I'm using the stock plate and haven't noticed the tire bottoming [topping ?] out on the fender as of yet. I'd mount it up and jump it a few times to see if the extra work is necessary. Adding a fork brace though would almost certainly cause some interference.

Top Bottom