weepster

Aug 23, 2012
Does anyone have any idea how to adjust the carb on a KDX175? It's out of tune, bogs down on full throttle. I can feather it all the way to full open, but can't trail ride like that, thanks

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
You can adjuster the air for idle. You can adjust the idle. You can clean it. You can adjust the valve needle. You can replace jets. You can adjust the needle. You can replace needle. You can replace work needle jet or worn slide. But you really can't "tune a carb" by adjustments other than the air screw, idle and moving the needle up or down a notch or two.
I suggest 1) make sure you have nice clean and oiled air filter; 2) make sure you have fresh fuel/oil; 3) take carb apart and clean thoroughly, paying close attention to making sure pilot and main jets are clean; 4) Then if not fixed, try adjusting the needle up or down a notch.

weepster

Aug 23, 2012
Thanks, I guess what I'm looking for are the factory set points, like bottomed out then backed off 1.5 turns, you know? Filters good, the fuel is new, but it gets boggy in the middle. Thinking about getting it cleaned hydrosonically and see if that helps.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Generally, the air screw adjustment should be out between 1 and 2 turns. You do this by setting your idle, then adjusting the air screw for optimum idle. Then readjust idle screw to lower idle back to optimum idle speed. (usually around 1,100 - 1,400 rpm IF memory serves me correctly--and sometimes it doesn't). If air screw is backed out more than 2 turns, it is too much and your pilot jet is likely too large.
But I don't think that is your main problem. I think more likely cleaning of the carb and changing the needle position is what you need. A one position change of the needle can make a huge difference.

Top Bottom