sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
A friend of mine has grown up riding quads in the socal deserts. I'm not talking redneck crap but hauling ass in the dunes and cross country in the hard pack. She's currently got a Banshee and a 250R Honda. About a year ago she added a '96 XR250 to her collection of toys. First ride out she started off slow and within an hour was cruising in 5th until she hit a soft sandy set of whoops and the rear end started swapping. Ended up over the bars and tweaked her ankle bad. This has scared her... Since then she's riden it 3 times, had a nervous break down once on it and basically has sucked when she was hauling ass the first time. She swares that she likes the power and that's not the issue. It's that it's a tiny bit to tall on seat height and just flat out too heavy. So I looked into all the TTR bikes and the CRF bikes and they're all just as heavy, only shorter... Then someone over on ThumperTalk (my hangout) mentioned the KDX. I hadn't even thought of one of these as an option. So how do these things compare to a XR250, power, weight, height, reliability... etc... They are 2 strokes right? Are these the auto lube ones or are you mixing gas in the can? I know these have been around for ever, what's the model and year break down? Any to ABSOLUTELY avoid as lemon years? I remember the old KDX200 with the lights and stuff. Now they've got a KDX220? IS that right? Anyone ride one in the SoCal Deserts? Ocotillo Wells? Plaster City? Barstow? Johnson Valley? etc... Anyone have one that we could meet and ride together and let her toss her ass on for 5 minutes to just see if it's something she likes? Info would be great... I'm 100% clueless as to these bikes just seen them around and with the advice of another member on TT I thought, oh DUH, that may very well be what she needs!!!

Khris

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
2 stroke, mix your gas/oil, XR250 feels like a 125 2 stroke and a 200/220 will feel more powerful. Seat height will be about the same and slight weight decrease. Not really much gained other than the beautiful Green color! :) Also... check the FAQ's section on this forum. A lot of good info!

pvxr400

Nov 4, 2001
A XR250 is no way like a 125 2-stroke. The XR250 has good bottom power and 125 2-stroke a huge amount of top end.

The KDX feels lighter and has more power than the XR. If you ride in sands, i would really consider the KDX cause the XR will lack some power.

Patrick

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Okay, not to be stupid but are you talking about the FAQ thread stickied at the top of this forum or is there an actual FAQ section that I'm just blind and not weeing. I just read the FAQ thread...

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
OK pv... I guess I should spell everything think out since you are jumping to conclusions about my 125 reference. As compared to a 2 stoke of the same displacement...It feels like a 125. Better? :)

Yes...the FAQ's are the first TWO post on this forum. Or go to http://www.justkdx.dirtrider.net whenever it is available. I just tried to go there and it is not found.

Last edited:

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
LOL, okay, I can jump in on the XR250 Vs 125 debate... WIth my riding style I'd destroy a XR250 on any 125 (I think). The XR suspension just can't handle the desert WFO where a 125 I can ring out 6th gear into a set of desert whoops and the suspension is capable of it...

BTW, I just did a search for XR250 in the KDX forum and it definately looks like a better candiate the the TTR 225 or whatever that turd is!!! Probably better then the CRF230 and more mellow, cheaper, and obviously lower then the CRF250 or X version...

BTW, I ride a '03 CRF450 setup for desert. At times in some of the H&H races I swear a KDX would be kickass for the technical stuff until we hit the flats!!!

How's the power delivery on the KDX vs. a 125 MXer? From reading sounds more linear and not so in need of always being in the powerband. From reading it sounds like a 2 stroke 4 stroke if that makes any sense?

Khris

Top Bottom