kdx200-a3 rocker arm removal ?

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
1985 kdx200-a3. My rocker arm is seized. Looks like it has never been serviced. Looks like all the bearing are rusted or damaged. I figure there is just a bolt holding it all together. Cannot remove it. What can I do ?

DSCN4154Large.jpg

DSCN4152Large.jpg

EYY

May 22, 2010
Patience is really the key for these sorts of things. Failing gentle persuasion with a hammer and penetrating lubricant, I'd probably try heating the linkage whilst trying to turn the bolt to see if it would free up.

I don't know if these models have bearings or bushes though.. Usually, I've found that worn or damaged bearings will cause it to become sloppy and loose.

Bushes and rust aren't a good combination, as I've found in the past. One incident saw me drilling the protruding bolt out from both ends and then pressing the remainder of the stud from the swingarm once it was off the bike. So if all else fails that's always an option, but obviously you'd need to find another bolt.

have fun!

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Thanks EVY,
the bolt now spins but resists extraction left or right. I think some of the pins in the roller bearings may have worn into the bolt and now have locked the bolt into postion. Bit like a keyway. Out with the hacksaw. I will cut the bolt from either end. I will use a press and open the spread the frame about 2mm.

I have a spare bolt :)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My buddy had a similar problem on an '84 back in the day. If I remember correctly, there is a sleeve in there that the bolt rusts together with. They will turn together, but you can't push the sleeve through the holes in the frame.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Dave, I checked. Two dust seals either side. Both must be fused to the bolt. I'll try some heat and lubricant.
The frame hole is oval not round. Some neglect :think:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I have had much better luck with PB blaster also if you can lay the frame over and brace it up and pound it with a Bid hammer you will get alot more force of the blows on the area itself, once it moves a little I will pound it the other way ..kinda back and forth till it lossens enough to come all the way out..use of heat really helps

I had the same sort of problem recently with my my 79 IT175

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Haven't yet removed the rocker. But this weekend the angle grinder comes out. I bought a spare rocker of ebay for a few dollars.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I don't think he will be saving anything in that assembly.

That early rocker design just does not tolerate deferred maintenance. If the bolt does not get removed and greased every so often, it will spin but just won't come out.

FWIW, I loved my old '84. Brakes were not so good and the forks needed help, but it would go anywhere. That was a fast 200cc motor in its day and the bike was tons of fun in the woods.

Top Bottom