KDX200 cracked crankcase! what to do?

jbundy

May 10, 2007
I have a 2001 Kawasaki KDX200 that was stolen and later recovered, but it had something done to it that cracked the crankcase near the rear shaft inside the crankcase. The left side of the crankcase was cracked all the way through so its two pieces now. I've been thinking of what I can do. I could try and have this welded, but I think its too far gone to fix that right. I've looked for a crankcase, but can't find any that aren't really expensive. The only ones that would fit would be 96-06. I thought about maybe trying to find an old kdx engine and modifying motor mounts to accept that engine. Just wondered if anyone had any advice, maybe someplace to find parts cheap or advice on changing engines.
I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Joe

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
When looking for parts, I try to bookmark newspaper classifieds that are close to my area. I.E., since I'm in central Okla., I'll watch the OKC, Tulsa, Wichita and DFW classifieds. The race circuits in your area should have some sort of classifieds available, also. (BJEC, TSCEC for me...)
My '01 220 quit pumping coolant, so I began looking for non-runners or parts. I came up with a 200 bottom end, supposedly in good shape. $300 and $45 shipping got it to my door. Looked to be OK, so I transplanted the top end to it, and switched them out. This all happened over the last month or so, last night was the first run up and down the street. I'll be running it in the Boars Head Enduro, this Sunday. If I DNF, ouch!

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
jbundy said:
I have a 2001 Kawasaki KDX200 that was stolen and later recovered, but it had something done to it that cracked the crankcase near the rear shaft inside the crankcase. The left side of the crankcase was cracked all the way through so its two pieces now. I've been thinking of what I can do. I could try and have this welded, but I think its too far gone to fix that right. I've looked for a crankcase, but can't find any that aren't really expensive. The only ones that would fit would be 96-06. I thought about maybe trying to find an old kdx engine and modifying motor mounts to accept that engine. Just wondered if anyone had any advice, maybe someplace to find parts cheap or advice on changing engines.
I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Joe

Also contact Jeff Fredette at frpoffroad.com to inquire if he has any used ones. He doesn't always have them in stock, but he has parts like this from time to time and they're usually sold at a great price

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Keep looking on e-bay for some used crankcase halves, then put new bearings, seals, pins and bushings in it. Since you would have it apart, a rebuilt crankshaft would be a good idea as well.

Top Bottom