shooone

Jul 13, 2012
Hi I'm a newbie to the green machine. I just picked up a 93 kdx200 and started wrenching on her. Was able to get her running but found many surprises shortly there after. One main problem is the fuel tank. It had a few cosmetic cracks but not leaking. I went out to the garage this morning to find a puddle of gas on the floor. What was a few small cracks is now a disaster. Cracks had formed all over the tank. I have done some searching and the 89 to 94 tank is pretty hard to come by. Do I have any others options that may work. Maybe a Kx tank or possibly a new tank from a 95 to 06. I really don't want to shell out 350 for a new tank. Any help would be awesome. One other problem is the bike seemed to lack power. Checked compression and it was good. Pulled pipe to inspect kips valves and to my surprise the left side valve is missing!! What should I do. Thanks.

EYY

May 22, 2010
I think you may need to keep an eye out for the right tank. I've seen them on eBay from time to time. You may be able to find one of the steel tanks from the kdx200sr which seem to be cheaper than the plastic ones. The later model tanks won't fit, as the tank sits 'in' the frame. I'm not sure about kx tanks though.

My bike was also missing the kips valves when I got it, and had next to no power. On a bike that old you should remove the cylinder at the very least to check the plating and inspect/clean/replace the kips parts.

They really awaken with some good reeds, a good pipe (or the pipe mod) and good jetting.

Good luck! :)

Top Bottom