Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Last year I got my wife a TTR225 to lear to ride on. At the time, we wanted something we could make street legal and that had a low seat height.

She learned to ride, and is a decent trail rider. Not necessarily fast, but gets up and down some pretty good hills. The problem is that her bike is way too heavy for her.

I think she is ready for a new bike. Now that she is comfortable riding, I think she can handle a taller seat height. I know she'd appreciate a better suspension.

Is the KDX200 a good bike for a new rider? Or maybe I should give her my TTR250 and get myself something new?

Mag

ATK ADAM

Sep 22, 1999
The KDX is definitely a good bike for a new rider, and one that can grow with a person's ability. My wife started out on a KX 80 big wheel and within a year and a half had outgrown it-power wise. She's only 5'3" and wanted to try my KDX. Once she got comfortable on it we had to get her one. The seat height is not really a problem except in the steep, rocky stuff. She rides a 92 with a 240 kit(my old bike) and an 89 200 with just about every mod you can do on it.

The 92 just got it's first bottom end rebuild since new. That includes 6 years with the 240 kit. So the bikes are super reliable.

If I can answer any other specific questions let me know.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Unbiased opinions?

Mag, I'm 5'3", 110-120lbs? and love my KDX. I came off a YZ80 so had to adjust to the seat height, but after a few rides, wouldn't go back (we kept the bike for about 4 months for me to be certain).

The bike is very friendly to a beginner, but can go when need be (my husband rides it too sometimes). I'm not fast by any stretch, but gaining confidence all the time. You can lower the suspension if needbe, but I think the older model (89-94) is lower to start with than the current one - Brenda/Adam/anyone can you confirm?.

The bike can be modified easily (reeds, pipe, airbox lid etc) and well worth doing. I ride mainly sandy forests (New England terrain is similar). Yeah, I still fall occasionally, but it's mainly in dumb places that I've stopped & can't reach the ground (my guess would be someone about 7' could touch the ground there, so it's just stupidness on my part).

The weight factor got me to start with as I found the bike too heavy to pick up often, so per C-Dave's advise, started running half a tank of gas, which helped (and I was able to) but now find it not a problem. The stock pipe/muffler weighs a short tonne, so ditch that as soon as possible, but then again, the FMF & PC pipes are great to open the bike up anyway, so it's a win-win situation.

Hope that helps some, and as with Adam, feel free to ask any more specific questions.

Oops, forgot to mention: LoriKTM was riding her KDX for 5 years before upgrading to the KTM200, but she had her suspension done before ever riding the bike, so you could contact her too. (hope that's okay Lori ;))
Michelle

Last edited:

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
The 89-94 bikes were lower to start with because of the frame design. The newer bikes have the perimeter frame so it is a bit taller. I prefer the older ones because of the seat height and the larger stock gas tank.

These are great beginner bikes but can easily progress with you as you get faster. I taught 3 beginners (didn't even know how to twist a trottle or shift with their foot) on my 200 and 2 of them were my sisters who were very young and very short. They all did really well. There are so many mods to do that you can really make these bikes scream if you want. My bikes started off very mellow and over the years have been modifired to rip. The better I get, the more money I spend on my KDX's!

Good luck on your venture and let us know if there are any more questions we can answer. I have every mod you can think of (and some you've never heard of) so ask away.

Brenda

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'll start searching for a good used KDX. Anything in particular to be aware of when shopping around (i.e., common problems)?

Mag

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
I would stay away from the 93-94 because they had inverted forks and they were kinda harsh. If the owner didn't do regular maintanance on the power valves, you may need to replace some of the parts. That is all I can think of right now.

Brenda

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
More opinions?

Mag, check out the women's forum too. There's a new thread there "need women's advice" - not far from the top, like 2 or 3 posts in which may give you more insight. If you do a search you'll probably find numerous other threads there too. You're welcome to post there too, it's not really just the "powder" room ;) j/k
I still love the KDX, but it may open up other options that you haven't thought of.

It's really great to see you guys getting your SO's involved and them loving it and staying with it. Let us know what you do decide & get her to check them out & test ride as many bikes as possible.
Michelle

Top Bottom