sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I have a 98 KDX200 and had the oppertunity this weekend to ride ALOT of 2009 KTM's ,they where up at highland park this weekend in GA for demo rides.

I thought I would share a comparision with y'all...

The first thing I noticed on the KTM 200xc-w was the throttle responce is quick, very quick, almost too quick makes it feel very twitchy as you go over bumps and the bike moves under you the throttle seems to rev with the slightest movement. the powerband is smooth and pulls through gears very fast I dont think it has the down low torqe like my KDX200 I was doing the same trail and rarely shifted down to second as i did on the ktm. Engine win goes to the KDX

Second thing the suspension is super smooth on the xc-w but the 200xc that I also tested is shurely not for the woods

Third the clutch being hydraulic is really nice.

The thing I really liked about the KTM was the suspension, it just seemed to be well balanced and handled the braking bumps alot better than the KDX.

I dont have my kdx set up yet and had only 4hrs ride time (exp.) on it before I took it to highland park on sunday and compared the two bikes.

I really like my KDX I had a month of fun in one sunday.
I was riding with guys on a kx250 and ktm 250 2 toke.

The kdx had no problem doing anything the other two bikes did and the only limits it has is my riding skills..

Had I been on the kx 250 I would not have made it through some of my mistakes.

BTW The KTM,s Brakes come on very strong very quickly I came in to fast in a corner, locked the back brakes up, went sliding sideways then hooked and highsided and ended up on my back wrung my bell pretty good too. (prob. my lack of exp.)
Other people were not as lucky...one guy busted his collor bone and another broke his leg this weekend testing the 09 KTM's

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Nice. The vast majority of people where we ride are on KTM's. My buddy has a 91 300EXC that is quite nice, but getting parts are a bear and it always seems to be busted.

My neighbor has a freshy 300EXC, and last weekend had to replace the stator because it got WET. Apparantly the CDI is built into the stator on that bike? Anyway, it cost him nearly 400 just for the part, and then labor to replace it. bummer...

I think I'll hang onto my KDX as long as possible.

J.

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
The CDI is not build into the stator on any newish KTM and I doubt the older ones. The fact that he paid someone to replace it should tell you something. Also, getting parts might be tough for the '91 just because of its age. Late model KTM parts are readily available...more so than KDX parts when it comes to my local dealer in fact.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I didn't mean to start a war between green and orange guys. Remeber some people
can afford the high end, high maintenance machines.
The rest of us poor folk are justkdx'n here and trying to help one another out
But remember there could be members of the orange camp hanging around here, maybe a former KDX owner that got a promotion, won the lottery, or just simply lost their mind to agent orange.
I will ride with anyone that will have me no matter what they ride!
(need someone to call the ambulance / show me how to ride better)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I didn't mean to say anything negative about KTM. I'm pretty fond of them. My neighbor just has his riding buddy who owns a shop do the labor, and the bit about the stator was just repeating what I was told. I'm curious what really went on there now though......

Sounds like a good time was had, aside from the folks who got broken. I'm jealous.

*edited out the nonesense..*

J.

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well I am more broken than I thought I was sitting ...got a hug from the wife standing ..she squeezed and my head was turned to one side and let me say something is wrong....the amount of pain is idescribable

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
Just picked up my 2nd KDX...this one a 94 for $300, but it needs a top end...no biggie. Having just parted out my 05 300 exc, I'm a bit saddened to not be on a KTM. They're easier to work on than just about anything out there, and the parts reliability is outstanding. They're "high end" yes (as in extremely reliable), but hardly "high maintenance". Much of the KTM myth regarding cost and parts availabilty is a myth indeed. KTM performance is great, but honestly more than I can exploit...thus I'm looking forward to this KDX project I've picked up. Last KDX was a '97 220. Is it any coincidence that my two favorite colors are orange and green? Those were my highschool mascot colors as well...strange eh?

Top Bottom