bspratt22

Jun 18, 2001
1985 model, I've had the bike 2 and 1/2 months and so far it has been perfect. Last week after a ride I lightly washed the mud off the bike (no water in intake or exhaust), then started it for a short ride. After a couple of minutes, it acted similiar to running out of gas, sputtered and quit. Could not restart it. Today I was able to fire it up for a few seconds, but then it would die out. On the second try it backfired. I am new to working on 2-strokes so the only thought I have is perhaps the timing slipped? Is this possible? Any other suggestions? Also, where can you get a fly wheel puller for this motor? (hopefully not Kawasaki) Thanks in advance-Bill.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Not smart arsey at all, the sound you describe is very much consistent with an electrical misfire. Always check the plug. But I’d put my money on the plug cap or the coil HT lead breaking down & the water has caused an alternative pathway. Of course it may have dried up enough by now & you may just be left with a fouled plug so do check. Personally I prefer the NGK marine plugcaps which are quite robust & have half a chance at being waterproof in the first place.

If problem persists you may have introduced water into the fuel supply which will cause similar symptoms.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The '83 - '85 models are notorious for the stator going bad. It is part of the electrical system under the flywheel. When my '84 went bad it went with every little warning - ran great one ride, next time only ran for a couple of minutes, then wouldn't start at all.

If you still can't get it a good spark after you've checked the usual problem spots mentioned above, check the stator. If you have to get the stator rewound, it usually is not too expensive, probably under $100.

bspratt22

Jun 18, 2001
Mud on my face

Ok I must be a rookie. It was the plug. I had actually taken out the plug and visually inspected it--it looked fine. I guess looks isn't everything? Put an old used plug (actually a 9 instead of the usual NDK8) and it fired on the second kick. Thanks guys, maybe one day I can return the favor...

NDRO

Jan 6, 2001
Try a Champion??

If you want to try a less expensive, but great running plug, buy a couple Champion N2C plugs.. They are in Champion's book for KDX 200's and run great... I bought an 8 pack for $.70 each....

Just a thought...

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
No looks aren’t everything, unless of course she looks real good.
Once a plug fouls it may not recover properly. Out in the open it may spark well but in a combustion chamber may just foul up again. I really would look at the HT lead & cap as well as they might have been the initial reason for the plug fouling. Could try wetting it again to confirm resistance to water. Always better to find out a weakness in your driveway rather than half way across a creek.

Always carry a spare plug & a spanner though.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Re: Try a Champion??

Originally posted by NDRO
If you want to try a less expensive, but great running plug, buy a couple Champion N2C plugs.. They are in Champion's book for KDX 200's and run great... I bought an 8 pack for $.70 each....

Just a thought...
I run N3C's, they are slightly hotter than the N2's. I feel the throttle response is a little better with the hotter plug, but I guess it could just be phsycological.:confused:

Top Bottom