KDX200, My first testdrive

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
Well, I own a 2002 KX-250 and a 2003 KLX-400SR and was interested in buying a KDX. Both my other bikes are stock except for some rejetting, and the KLX has the 3"x3" airbox modification. I don't race anymore, (it's just too dangerous for this 35yr old kid to continue doing) but I still ride the local MX track and love doing doubles and plateau's when track traffic is minimal. The KLX-400SR is my dual sport campground/urban assault weapon, but the weight of this bike takes much of the fun out of real trail riding. Like most people, I've been undecided between the 200 and the 220. I drove a stock 2001 KDX-200 tonight for the first time. I was hoping that this bike would be the perfect playbike/trail bike; something less high strung than my KX-250 that I can just jump on and ride comforably on the fields and trails. My KX rides nice for a MX bike, but It's just setup a little stiff for play riding. Well, the KDX-200 was truely a hoot to ride. I didn't want to get off, and I'm sure I could have ridden it for hours at a time. It had very smooth suspension just like my KLX-400SR, but none of the weight or handling problems; it actually felt lighter than my KX-250. Powerwise, I think it was more powerful than my KLX-400SR. Less low end torque, but still plenty powerful. It reved nicely too; higher than my KX-250 I think. It wheelied very easy, and I was having a blast riding it around. This bike can be ridden slow, and has plenty of low end for me; It easily roosted If I wanted it to, and could be driven very fast too. For the money, this bike does it all, and is a great bargain; I think their will be a new KDX-200 in my garage very soon.

Last edited:

Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
i have a kdx200, i think it is super fast,
my friend has alot of expierence, races, has a four stroke and was skocked how fast it was.

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
I agree, the bike was unexpectedly fast; it doesn't hurt to have that 6th gear also. Another thing: Everybody always say's to check out the KTM200 because the KDX is outdated. Hey, the KDX is sooooo great for the money. It's dependable, comfortable, cheap, looks and runs great.....this bike rocks! Why spend thousands more for the KTM? Maybe If I was going to race, but otherwise this bike is a "swiss army knife" of offroad bikes. I think the word FUN comes to mind! My plans are to leave it stock. At most, I might stiffen the front fork springs and fine tune the jetting.....then just ride it.

sether

Aug 24, 2004

I rode a very modified DRZ-400S for 2 years (Full Yoshi, carb mods, suspension mods). Got the 05 KDX-200 for a trail bike because I hated the weight of the DRZ (same as your KLX but blue). After 3 rides on the KDX the DRZ went up for sale. It's gone now and I really don't miss it.
:cool:
My first ride report click here...

Last edited:

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
I remember reading that post. Good story. I think the KLX/DRZ has it's place...I have a '00 ZX-9R for serious street riding, but the KLX is an awesome dual sport bike, and I don't want to sell it because it really does 60% street and 40% dirt nicely. i just need the KDX to fill the gap in my green fleet. That being the role of play bike/trail bike.

brockboy

Apr 12, 2005
I agree the 200 stock is a liittle lacking in power.I have got a 2004 220r I have put on a fmf gnarly woods and silencer.I have done some carb mods and took the snorkle out of the air box.I have found the power just perfect for my riding. Iam 6ft 220 pounds (whiskers not included) .I think you would be pleasently surprised.I have a bit of a rough time riding the kx 250 my self and is why I chose the kdx 220r

kx250kev

Jan 17, 2005
I haven't ridden the 220R yet, but the 200 satisfied my power requirements in stock form. FYI, I am 176lbs + gear

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The KDX 200 is a great bike. I'm sure I'll own another some day.

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
I have made a promise to myself that I will get a 200 before they stop making them. I had a ball on my old KDX 175, I just needed some more power. Anybody know if this is the last year for them or will there be an 06 model?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…