john81chevy

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2005
I'm getting back into riding after several years absence. I've been test riding a few bikes and I am leaning toward buying a KDX. I rode a 1994 KDX200, which had no unusual engine sounds and ran great. I then rode a 2001 KDX200. It also ran great, but the engine makes a knocking/pinging sound like the kickstarter is being held down while the engine is running. The owner said it has done this since he bought it a year ago, and he knows of two other KDX200s that make the same noise. The noise seems to go away when the engine starts getting up into midrange RPM, but I don't know if the noise is actually decreasing or the exhaust is just drowning it out. Is this really a normal sound? Does it have something to do with the KIPS? I have heard that the pistons can go in the KDX sometimes and this has me worried. Other than the noise you wouldn't suspect anything because the bike runs great. Thanks for any help you can give.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
It's known as the KIPS Rattle... very common. I'd be more concerned if I didn't hear it. Only the 220's have an issue with the stock piston... not the 200's.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
run your oil near the top of the sight glass. That will quiet things down a bit.
They are rattley, clanky, noisy bikes.
I love mine.

04kdxchris

Aug 26, 2004
I run a full quart in my bike, it quieted it down quite a bit. I also run lucas oil additve which is as thick and stick as honey. Seems to be pretty quiet. I really have to get out riding :bang: havent riden in so long.
Chris

Top Bottom