Vaulta

Jan 19, 2004
hey guys, I have only ridden a dirt bike once before and loved it! I came into a little money and Iam looking to buy a used bike for about 2000.00. I just dont know if I should get a KDX or a 250 2-stroke. I do not wont to race, I live in Florida and wont to rip on some trails and what not. People have been telling me you can't ride a 250 2-stroke in the trails or its to much work. My expierence is low but I catch on to things very quick and Iam a freak and Iam afraid of getting bored on a KDX200 within a year. I wont a quick bike and Iam still learning thou. Any thoughts on this, I greatly aprechate.thanx Vaulta

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
One most certainly CAN ride a 250 on trails. But a beginner will most certainly ride a KDX better (and enjoy it more.) You probably won't ever get bored on a KDX. But if you do, there are always engine and suspension mods.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I'll second the KDX 200. Solid machines. As skill increases/fear decreases, you can make them go as fast as you can afford. A 200 with some basic mods will rip.
A 250 MX-style machine can work really well in the woods, but I feel that a greater level of skill is required to take advantage of the bike, especially in tight stuff. MX-style bikes need to be ridden "on the pipe" which can be hairy in the woods.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Vaulta,

I just got back into riding after a 10 year break. I used to ride a CR-250. I talked to a few of my buddies for their input. I was gonna get an old XR or a TT, they told me I'd be totally disappointed if I chose them. They said, "After a week of putting around, when you get comfortable, you'll want something faster".

I got a good deal on an RM-250. Sure it was fast and took some getting used to. After a week my but wasn't sore from riding anymore. I mostly ride the woods on southern Maryland. When we hit the straights, I'm sure glad I have the 250. Nothing like ahifting gears on a straight-away wheelie.

I beleive in haveing the best bike you can. Even one that is above your current skill level. A bike that you can grow into, not one that you have to modify to keep up with you. Good judgement helps too.

A good suspension is very important. A 250 MX bike will come with a great suspension and good low end. If you want more low end power, a set of reeds designed for torque($35) will help. If your trais are real tight and the gearing seems high for your riding style. A smaller front sprocket ($15) will cure that.

I'm not knocking the KDX, just putting in a vote for the 250.

Hope this helps, Steve.

believe bigger is better.

desition

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If you go 250 a KX or RM would be a more realistic choice stock. There's lots of mods for these bikes too. Unless you've got some long stretches of ground or jumps to cover a KDX or EXC would work better IMO.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I would vote for the kdx just because it doesnt do anything bad. Its not the very best of machines but thats only on a high performance scale. the KDX will be a solid 8 on every thing but refinement. Its an old outdated bike that the japs dont see a market for. There must not be any trails or trees in japan. They have way too little to compete with for someone that just would like to ride a bike on some trails. A 250 motorcrosser requires lots more money to get the comfort and easability that will come more trail oriented machine like ktms exc, gas gas and a kdx. I would only recommend the ktms or gg to someone that wants to be on the leading edge of the trails. If you will be wanting to be a competitive rider you should go with the trail friendly racers. If you think you will only be cruising go with the kdx. they are cheap in terms of how much they will actually save you in the long haul.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
It never hurts to have more than one bike! Start on the mellower bike. Then when your skill level exceeds the starter machine, move on! Don’t forget the kdx can be made to run very strong!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
The KDX can be moded for more track time as long as you don't expect to win the 250 A class. The GG has more low end/no top than other trail bikes because its a trials engine. Very tame bike but rare in the US. The KTM EXCs are like KDX's updated and built with higher quality parts jacking the price up quite a bit. Thats why the KDX is one of a kind bike while the others are still good choices to consider.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I would consider my gg closer to a kdx than anyother bike that there is. gg are at a better price than ktm and have components that are very user friendly. they are also easy to work on. ktms are made more for people wanting to race yet have to sink money in them to get them perfect. the gasser comes closer to the perfect that the ktm is striving to reach.
gas gas turn a rider into a good rider wereas the ktm turn the same rider into just another rider. Its true you will learn more on the gg.
ever rode a trials bike? same thing, you learn control.
the ktm and gg are on the upper end of the spectrum that a new rider might not achieve until 6 months later.
I witnessed a kdx last for 4000 miles before a bolt was turned adn it was left out in the weather.

bikr346

Jan 24, 2004
my uncle and my friends uncle road a kdl300 and cr5000 to california and back from pa....neither of them broke down..its crazy going that far

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
I have an 02' KDX 200 w/ stiffer front springs and Race Tech revalve front/rear. FMF Gnarly Desert pipe, 12T front and love the bike. BUT always seem to want a little more for the Track, but LOVE riding it in the Woods. So, I'm looking at getting an 03' KX 250 because I'm getting a great deal and like the idea of a better suspension/handling. I ride 50% Woods / 50% Track and am worried that the KX is going to be a beast in the tight woods of PA. Though I see where the KX engine is supposedly smoother hitting and not as powerful as the other 250's which is a good thing for woods. I am a Novice to Intermediate rider.

Should I keep the KDX or buy the KX? And what mods are the best for making the KX Woods/Track friendly.

Thanks
BPJNT

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
BPJNT, since you're experienced, a KX250 would be fine in the woods. Add a flywheel weight if you want to tune it down for the woods. If you want more bottom end power have the jug ported.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
A kdx won't hold you back for a few years. You could also consider the kdx220. The KTM 200s would also be a great trail bike. Another bike to consider is the older yamaha WR250 2 stroke. More friendly woods/trail power delivery, yet still 250 zip not bad for beginning motocross if you someday want to try that.

alcherny08

Apr 21, 2003
Two stroker, the GasGas does not have a trials engine in it. It has a lot of torque, but it is essentially a de-tuned MX engine. The EC250 has a lot of low-end power compared to the CR/YZ/KX/Rm 250s, and not that much top-end power, but it still has way more than a KDX. And it is completely different than the trials engine. The Pampera has a trials engine in it, though. And it is probabaly the closest bike to the KDX available.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I meant the Pamp. The EC line is just like the EXC line; MXers ported or tuned for smoother lower power. Sorry for any confusion.

Top Bottom