kdx200 port work? tips?

J

Jkirky

Hi everyone... Ive got an 02 kdx200 that im keen to mod...

Ive sent out the cylinder to be overbored to accept a 68mm piston, which should convert the capacity to about 215cc or so...

Whilst i'm at it, I would like to have a go at some port work. I dont want to drastically change the characteristics of the engine, but just want to improve flow... My idea is to restore the port timing to original spec after the rebore, and smooth out the casting inperfections within the exhaust and intake/transfer ports...

Has anyone ported a kdx on this site? Any feedback?

EYY

May 22, 2010
What bolt on mods have you done already? The Kdx doesn't have the best suspension in the world, and without suspension mods you'll really struggle to use all of the bikes power with just bolt ons such as reeds, pipe, air box, jetting etc. having said that, I weigh 63kg so power isn't so much an issue for me as it is for others.

I'm yet to come across a 250f that is faster than my bike too. I suspect the 6 speed gearbox has much to do with that though.

I'm assuming you're having the cylinder bored and not plated? I wouldn't like to play with porting on a freshly plated cylinder. You might consider having the head machined to improve squish. Apparently the head work really makes a difference

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
When the cylinder of my '89 KDX200 got gouged I had a local shop put in a steel liner. But they used a cheap soft steel and it would wear out so fast I had to have it relined every 6 months. Instead of getting mad at the shop I just turned those lemons into lemonade. I tried a slightly different port timing and shape each time just to experiment and get some experience porting. What I finally liked best was that which gave the best mid range boost. I didn't keep notes though so I can't tell you how to reproduce what I did.

Top Bottom