Foxracing66

Apr 24, 2007
hey, im new to this forum. i currently ride a honda CRF100, which is way to small. i went to my local bike store today and they have a left over Kawasaki model KDX200 year 2006, and its a 2-stroke, i was just wondering what do u guys think about the bike? i mostly ride trails, but i still go the track when i can.

motormouse

Dec 15, 2005
Foxracing66 said:
hey, im new to this forum. i currently ride a honda CRF100, which is way to small. i went to my local bike store today and they have a left over Kawasaki model KDX200 year 2006, and its a 2-stroke, i was just wondering what do u guys think about the bike? i mostly ride trails, but i still go the track when i can.

I have the '06 KDX. At first, I was a little disappointed. It ran very rich and the suspension was out of balance. But after a few mods (FMF torgue pipe, Boyesen power reeds, leaner jets and needle, springs for my weight) this bike really come to life. This bike is just FUN. And my friends say the same thing...

jsirvine

Mar 20, 2002
It needs a pipe for sure and some good work on the suspension but it is amazingly low maintenance. Just ride it and have fun. Change the airfilter andtrans fluid, that's about it. Mine is a 2000 still on the original rings, gets ridden hard and still runs strong.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
Great bike, plan to jet it as soon as you get it home. As long as you don't try to use it for an MX'er you will love it. If you do ever want an MX bike, buy one, but don't sell the KDX you will miss it and wish you had both. Take my word for it.

Foxracing66

Apr 24, 2007
so i should upgrade the pipe, whats a good pipe for it? motormouse u said the FMF torgue pipe, should i upgrade the pipe to that or is it just personal preference?

Foxracing66

Apr 24, 2007
o and another question how are the forks, when i saw the bike the forks were offroad, i dont ride mx yet, i mostly ride trails, but i still go to the track, should i order a better pair for when i go to the track?

motormouse

Dec 15, 2005
Foxracing66 said:
so i should upgrade the pipe, whats a good pipe for it? motormouse u said the FMF torgue pipe, should i upgrade the pipe to that or is it just personal preference?

I ride mostly wooded trails so I rarely get out of 3rd and 4th gears. The torque pipe works really well for this environment and I like the smooth, strong low end power delivery. This pipe doesn't suddenly surge. It's strong from the bottom through the mid range and flattens out in high revs. In my opinion, you need a pipe - whether its the torgue or the rev...depends on where/how you like to ride.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Foxracing66 said:
o and another question how are the forks, when i saw the bike the forks were offroad, i dont ride mx yet, i mostly ride trails, but i still go to the track, should i order a better pair for when i go to the track?

Coming from a CRF 100, this bike will seem like a quantum leap in performance in both motor and suspension. I would ride it stock for a while especially if your new to 2 t's. You will then have a better idea on how to modify it to best suit your needs.

Gumby190

Sep 11, 2005
I used to own a Husaberg FE501 '99 model, then an old Honda CRM250.
The KDX I own now is by far the most fun & reliable bike I have owned, I have a ProCircuit Platnium Pipe & silencer a few other bits & pieces & she keeps up with a fair few of the newer bikes.
I call her Jesus cause she keeps rising from the dead.

Last edited:

danfree

Mar 30, 2006
The KDX is probably better riding on trails and in the woods. That's what it's for! It won't be better on an MX track. That's what the the CR125 is for! To get advice on what bike to ride, it might be helpful to know what kind of riding will be done. i.e. racing? riding trails? Also, experience is a BIG part of the equation.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Foxracing66 said:
is the KDX200 better then a honda cr125r?
The Cr125 has a better suspension even for trails but is quite pipey and more prone to stalling if you don't keep the revs up. From what you said about the type of riding you do and especially the type of bike you are graduating from, I promise you will be much more happy with the KDX.
It will have much more low end grunt then the CR and plenty of spank to keep you smiling unless you want to ride primarily moto.

Dakota Kid

Jun 3, 2006
I have 3 KDX's, 1 220 and 2 200's. One has a pipe and the others are stock. The only reason one has a pipe is because I purchased it with the pipe. If you are coming from a 100 cc bike, I would keep this bike stock (unless you have money to burn) for a while and save your money. It is not likely that you will be maxing out the bike in stock form much less with a pipe. As you get better with the bike, then you may want to look for a pipe. They are great trail bikes and I think they are awesome. I ride mine at the track in stock form all the time. They are not a track bikes but they are still good enough to have fun at the track. I recently purchased an 06 YZ 125 for the track which is great but I think would not be as good on the trails due to weak low end power. Bottom line, a KDX will be a nice next step and if you get it for a good price, it will hold it's value well!

Dakota Kid

Top Bottom