SeriesOne

Aug 6, 2003
Ok, this time I will be more specific... I'm 5'11 160lbs and I live on a 90acre plot with fields and many trails in the woods. I have ridden before, but I 'm just getting back into it. I had a 94 XR250. I will ride trails a lot, from mountain roads, to open field roads, and also jumping, but not 80 footers...just like freeride jumping. I always loved the sound of four strokers but I've heard great things about the KDX, but I heard it isn't for jumping. Is the XR250 decent jumper? Or would it be better to go with an Mxer? I also heard about KTM's but they are expensive...I guess I'm just stuck with what to go with. Any advice would be helpful.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Didn't I just answer this same question in some other thread?

SeriesOne

Aug 6, 2003
Yes, but it was locked because I didn't follow the rules somehow...I read them and realized I wasn't detailed enough, and this thread is aboutthe kdx versus the XR250 which are my two main choices...and I have searched the threads for info before posting...that's how I came down to thinking about the KDX200 after reading all the good things about it...however I also read it isn't a jumping bike, but if you but XR400 coils on or kx125 fork, it helps...I'm just looking for a decent bike to rip in the woods, but also can be jumped without feeling like I'm jumping a cow :).

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
A KDX will do you better than the XR250 when it comes to mild jumping.  Obviously - neither is an MX bike and not designed to be taking 90 foot jumps.

Although i've seen a couple of KDX riders make some of the best MX bikes eat their dust Jeff Fredette and the DW03 KDX father and son team come to mind.

Get the suspension set up right on a KDX and it will treat you well for what you are jumping in the woods.  I've riden both XR250 and KDX and prefer the KDX from that aspect.  It is not a "cow" as you put it.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
The xr will feel sluggish and like a tank to ride, the kdx is like a budget detuned motocross, its very very good though!

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
I wouldn't even compare a kdx to an xr250. A kdx has better everything, more power, less wieght, and is priced considerably less. a kdx has more in common with a xr400, powerwise. Putting different coils and MX forks on it are a waste of time. Just invest some dough in the suspension and it will do just fine for trails, and some jumping. Good luck

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
XR400 fork springs were $47 at our dealer and took a week to get. I'd say it's worth it if your a larger rider or want to jump. KX125 forks or aftermarket one will cost more but will work better for jumping.

Top Bottom