KDX200 Wobble up front any thoughts please

howes

May 7, 2009
Well , i finally got a chance to take my 02 Kdx200 for a good ride today,
I have a wobble coming from the front wheel or front end somewhere.
Everything is tight , Bearings , Forks , etc etc,
I checked the wheel no buckled Rims . New tire Dunlop. Wheel spins with no problems or buckles.
Forks may have a small twist in them .
The only way i can explain it is , when i open up the thottle it feels like i'm riding in sand , But I'm not ?
The rear feels fine, i set the sag up for my weight , i'm 62kg.
Any thoughts on what might be happening up front to give off such a feeling . Thank you Peter

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
Is this at any speed, or only when you're going quickly?

What do you weigh?

IME, the things that make the KDX a good trailbike and give it that nimble feel we all like also make it a little sketchier at speed. If you weigh more than the front forks like, they'll be riding down in the stroke and making your forks more vertical, which will DEF make it a little twitchy.

I just fitted some XR4 fork springs and it's a lot more stable now.

howes

May 7, 2009
I'm 0nly 62kg, That's without my boots & gear on.
It feels wobbley mainly when I'm going fast. This is my first KDX but I have had lots of bikes over the years, RM125, RM250 , XR250, XR500
I thought maybe the track is out,it looks straight but, maybe it's out a bit. The bike is still in the back of my Van from the weekend, Today I will get it out , take the front gaurd off & get someone to sit on the bike & see if it's straight........../ Peter

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
mine wobbles when I go fast on a road I think they all will with knobbies on the front.
My xt600 wobbled at 60mph but with perrelli Scorpions 80% onroad 20% off it was fine.

One more reason not to regester for street on the kdx I rode mine back on the road from a long trail on saturday it does not like going realy fast but it did better than a certain cr85 bigwheel I know (siezed piston)

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
Yea knobbies on the street = wobbles. A dirt tire isn't made perfectly round 99% of the time. MAnufacturers know that with the dirt and the suspension on dirt that it isn't going to makes that big of a noticable difference.

howes

May 7, 2009
Found the problem, The front wheel was not running in track with the back wheel. Forks had a twist in them. The braces were not squared up & the top brace was would not move to able me to twist them straight again. I pull the Forks & braces off , Put it all back together & now it's running straight again....................................

Top Bottom