hdavit4901

Jun 4, 2001
Hi folks,

I have recently acquired a KDX200SR 1991 vintage from Japan. The bike is pretty much stock, I would like to try to hop-up the performance and would really appreciate any advice/guidance about aftermarket pipes for this machine.

I live in the north of England and there seems to be little information about the KDX200SR in the English newsgroups etc.

Any other hints/tips about mods to the KDX200SR would also be very welcomed.

B

Jun 29, 2000
Where abouts in the north of england?

Im down in Sheffield and Im running a 200SR. Ive got bits of info so mail me.

B:think

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You'll likely want to check out the 89-94 pipe mod article on the JustKDX web page. It makes a great pipe and the cost is minimal if you have access to an appropriate welder.

David

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
I am sure that pipe mod works, but sounds like more than I would ever want to try. I used to run a FMF on my 89' and it made a great improvement. Much less work involved.

hdavit4901

Jun 4, 2001
KDX200SR

Thanks to all who replied to my plea for help.

Some sound advice and info'.

I think I might be building up confidence to get out the mole grips and hacksaw and have a go at that stock pipe. Just need to find a local yokel who's halfway good with a welder.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
hi
I couldn't find any good welders here so I installed a Pro Circuit pipe.
It really gives a good boost of power from upper mid range on up but its noisey.
Especially when the KIPS opens up, man it sounds like a million elves banging on tin cans.
Incredibly the sound doesn't come out of the silencer, but directly from the walls of the main pipe body.
Well since I ride on the street a lot I now have good passing power and the car drivers know better that I'm here
(whereas they often didn't before since the bike was so quiet).
And on the local MX track the other day I felt my bike was up to the task whereas before I felt my bike was a tired dog.
Make sure you either put on Boyesen Power reeds or just remove the reed restrictors, and also drill holes in your intake
cover (above the filter), and remove the intake snorkel. Those mods make a big difference also.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
How about for a KDX250SR?

Hi All,

I'm finding this thread very interesting. I own a KDX250SR F2 (1992) and I'm wondering if Kawasaki installed the same baffle on it as in the 200SR? Does anyone know for sure? I'd hate to cut it open and find it clean inside...

Also, for Jaguar... did you get a ProCircuit pipe made specially for the SR model, since the SR pipe bolts on with a flange instead of using springs (like the US KDX200)?

Thanks...

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
if you know what to look for, you can tell if the pipe has internal baffles. there will be two indentations on each side
of the pipe where the baffle is welded to the pipe. also the pipe bulges out to keep the baffle from taking too much
valuable space inside.
I don't think they make a pipe with the bolt on connections for SR's. I just used silicone sealant where the pipe meets
the cylinder and it works well. I want to rig up something to make the connection stronger though.
How do you like the KMX125? They sell those here instead of the better KDXes.

pbove

Sep 2, 1999
89 Pipe mods

If you have the time, patience, and welding equipment, a stock modified pipe is the way to go. Dave has all the info you need to get started. I have done the dirty work and I can tell you the power increase was worth the effort....
pbove::D

Ede

Mar 31, 2000
kmx125r,

just check if your pipe is real heavy. If yes, there is something inside (which you better remove).

My pipe (KDX200SR) was very heavy before I "cleaned" it.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
KMX125 impressions

Jaguar,

I REALLY like my KMX125... you're right, it certainly isn't a KDX, but it fits the dual sport role fairly well... the weakest link (as usual) is the suspension, particularly the forks... but it is a great, lightweight, nimble 2 stroke with decent power (KIPS equipped)... it is the best locally (Philippines) assembled bike available here... the competition is the Yamaha DT125 (air cooled, drum brakes), and the Honda XLR200 (air cooled, front disc, rear drum, electric start ONLY)...

The KMX125 comes with dual disk brakes (the front is a bit wimpy - single piston), water cooled, light weight, Dunlop 605 tires for about $1850 US dollars... a GREAT deal... the Yamaha and the Honda are both more expensive than the KMX!!! It comes in Kawie green, blue and red...

I have owned 2 of them so far... sold one to buy the KDX250SR because I wanted a physically larger bike and one with more power...

I would highly recommend the KMX for light off-road/trail exploration and even a bit of play mx (no big jumps, please!) It is a great beginner's bike.

Oh, by the way for those of you in the US and other places who have never seen a KMX follow this link...

www.kawasaki.fr/motos/125cc/kmx125/index.htm

Later...

Top Bottom